Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
campv8baz

Bayer Insecticide under plum tree

campv 8b AZ
11 years ago

I have posted this question before but I didn't get any responce. Please can someone help. FRUITNUT????
Every year it is the same. I spray and fert and spray again. But every year I have trouble with Thrips when the satsuma plum tree comes into bloom. (none of my other trees seemed bothered) It scars the fruit pretty bad and I can't spray then because of the bees. Can I use Bayer advanced granules for thrips, under the tree. Its label states not to be used in a veggie garden. I do use it on the ground under my roses. Will it hurt anything, fruit or the tree? Thanks

Comments (8)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    11 years ago

I haven't had trouble with thrips on my trees. If the Bayer material isn't labeled for fruits you'll have to decide.

• gator_rider2
    11 years ago

Here what I do spray very late in evening.

SPINOSAD
    (Entrust)# 1.71��"2.5 oz 0.43��"0.6 oz 4 7
    (Success) 6��"8 oz 1.5��"2 oz 4 7
    MODE OF ACTION GROUP NUMBER1: 5
    COMMENTS: To avoid development of insect resistance, do not treat successive generations of the same pest with the same product. Do not apply more than 29 oz/acre/year of Success or 9 oz/acre/year of Entrust. This product is toxic to bees for 3 hours following treatment; apply in late evening after bees have stopped foraging.

This post was edited by gator_rider2 on Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 12:19

• olpea
    11 years ago

campv,

I don't know exactly what formulation of Bayer insecticide you are using, but it sounds like one that contains imidacloprid as the active ingredient. Imidacloprid is absorbed through the roots and moves systemically throughout the plant tissues.

While some formulations of imidacloprid are approved for fruits, I would not use it in the manner you are suggesting. Applying it anywhere near bloom will most certainly result in insecticide residues in nectar and pollen. Regarding bee toxicity, Imidacloprid is one of the most toxic insecticides available. We're talking parts per billion, not parts per million. Unfortunately it is also very persistent so that an application long before bloom can still result in lethal bee residues in pollen and nectar.

I'm not at all afraid to use synthetic pesticides, and I try never to say never, but with the information now available, I'd have to think long and hard before I used imidacloprid (probably never).

I actually don't think it will be very long before imidacloprid will have it's label revoked for typical lawn and landscape use, at least not without a restricted-use label.

• campv 8b AZ
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone -This insecticide does have imidacloprid in it along with fertilizer. I don't want to kill any bees or myself. Is there some kind of granuals I can use? Will Spinosad kill thrips in the ground? I don't want to spray the tree because in the past (5 years)it did not work. I need to kill the larva in the ground and stop the cycle or a least tone it down.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    11 years ago

One application of imidacloprid can last in a tree 5 years or longer killing bees all along the way. You won't have aphid issues but I'm not sure how effective it is on thrips if at all.

• waiting_gw
    11 years ago

Good info here...

Here is a link that might be useful: Thrips Management Guidelines

• campv 8b AZ
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone- so it is Xnay the Bayer stuff and I will just use it around the roses. I guess I thought of it out of fustration. I am tired of the fruit looking bad, even the nieghborhood kids wrinkle their noses @ the scaring. I do spray the tree with dorment oil maybe I should spray it more or right before bloom?

• windfall_rob
    11 years ago

not to poke, but bees like roses(some kinds) too if there is not a major bloom elsewhere for pollen.
    Is the use on roses routine or targeted?