Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I thought I had it under control, but...

Posted by peachymomo Ca 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 10:44

This year I thought I was done buying new trees and vines, I decided that I have enough on my plate and I don't need any more.

But now the discussion on red-fleshed apples has me trolling the online nurseries again, and they have new selections available that they didn't have when I first started planting my home orchard. I want them! Argh! I don't know where to plant them, but I want them anyway!

How do you control the need to expand? Or do you just find a place to squeeze in a few more?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I thought I had it under control, but...

Well, I'm no help. I thought I was done, also. But, now I'm looking at cold hardy citrus...

o

I don't know either. I don't have a big piece of land and much of it is woodsy. I hate hate hate trimming back woodsy areas-- I practically worship forests--- but I am thinking of doing it so I can get a couple orange trees out of pots and into the ground.

RobThomas: I live in a colder part of Florida-- too cold for commercial citrus-- and I have Satsumas, calamondins, a Duncan Grapefruit, and Hamlin Orange.
Zone 7 might be too cold for the Duncan and the Hamlin, but you could probably grow Satsumas, calamondins, and Meyer lemons.
Satsumas are a particularly awesome cold-hardy citrus that require virtually no care and produce a lot of sweet fruit.

o

alh, thanks for the info. I've been looking at Mckenzie farms for "cold hardy" citrus. I'd like to get two plants, a Satsuma variety being one, and maybe Changsha as the other. I'd like to get something that will survive here and have decent taste. I'll talk to Mr. Mckenzie before making any final decisions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here