Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harvestmann

Kokusa Mulberry

alan haigh
14 years ago

I noticed the Kokusa mulberry listed in the Burnt Ridge catalogue. Anyone familiar with it?

Comments (15)

• olga_6b
    14 years ago

My sister has it in her garden. I was impressed so much that ordered one for myself last summer. VERY productive and sweet.
    Olga

• alan haigh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, I'll order one tomorrow. Hope I get one of Burnt Ridge's good ones. I usually order them by the 5's and from them, 1 or 2 usually die. Only from them. Whitman's Farms would be my first choice.

• thisisme
    14 years ago

harvestman I have three trees on order from Burnt Ridge.

THISISME hoping for better luck than harvestman's.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

There are two basic product categories from Burnt Ridge, large amazingly high quality field-grown stock and small, delicate grafts. As with other small starts from other sources these need more coddling after being received than larger stock. I've only lost their plants to pests and diseases active on the planting site after they were received and planted out, not due to problems with them originating with the nursery.

• kokopelli5a
    14 years ago

I'm satisfied with the apple tree they sent me last year. I thought maybe the roots were overtrimmed, but overall a good tree at a good price. I would do business with them again.

• alan haigh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm not really knocking Burntridge, they've got a pretty good rep, but I've ordered mulberries from them 2 or 3 times and from at least 3 other sources, and their's, for whatever reason, have been the weakest growing trees. It could be just coincidence.

• fruithack
    14 years ago

Late frosts hammer Kokusa here. Illinois Everbearing leafs out a little later and avoids the punishment.

• chills71
    14 years ago

I've got an Illinois Everbearing from BurntRidge and its one heck of a grower. 4 years old and it surpassed 20 feet (with regular pruning!) with a trunk of at least 4 inches at base.

I've been considering the Kokusa, but lack of remaining planting space has me carefully considering new acquisitions (to plant I must remove something already growing) otherwise I would have already ordered one.

~Chills

• thisisme
    14 years ago

I just added an Illinois Everbearing to my order from Burnt Ridge.

• lucky_p
    14 years ago

Had an email exchange with my friend Clifford England of England's Orchard & Nursery earlier this week. He says Kokuso is his favorite - his 'tree' is 7 ft tall and 15 ft wide. I guess it's pretty easy to pick with that sort of configuration. His only regret was that its fruiting period is fairly short - 3 to 4 weeks. But most of the fruits are seedless, and he says they don't stain your hands(guess they must be pretty firm)like most other mulberries.

• contadinak
    9 years ago

I'm thinking of the Kokusa and wondering, since this thread is older, if anyone can share which months of the year their Kokusa's are ready to harvest.

• lucky_p
    9 years ago

Have several branches of Kokuso grafted into an established M.alba here - and have had it growing for several years.
    It's far enough from the house that I never manage to get any of the fruit...so I can't comment on how good it may or may not be. Sorry.

• alan haigh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Someone sent me some wood but grafts didn't take, so I can't help much either. but Mulberries tend to bear in late June through July here.

• strudeldog_gw
    9 years ago

Does anyone know if the Kokusa offered in retail is the Kokusa #20 available from USDA UC Davis? I have always assumed so and have 3 rooted, and got a few fruit from a 2nd year rooted cutting this year, I think was fairly early but don't actually recall, thinking June

• Scott F Smith
    9 years ago

My Kokuso fruited a few years ago, it was a bit earlier than the wild mulberries around here so probably June some time. Since then the deer have been munching on it so it hasn't been fruiting. It has almost outgrown the deer this year and I am hoping the spring flush next year will finally put it "over the top" of their heads.

I don't recall the different numbers but my understanding is there is only one that is commonly propagated .. at some point I knew which one. Ask the nursery.

Scott