Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
disease resistant peach tree

Posted by sbyerb1144 z7 NW Alabama (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 25, 10 at 10:54

can anyone recommend a good disease resistant peach tree that bears free stone peaches. In spite of regular spraying we have never been able to harvest any ripe fruit off our peach trees.We live in zone 7 Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: disease resistant peach tree

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 25, 10 at 12:29

sbyerb,

"disease resistant peach" covers a lot of ground, because there are lots of diseases. I'll take a shot in the dark since you're not getting any fruit, the disease you want rid of is brown rot. It's generally the one that can completely destroy fruit.

There are some varieties more resistant to brown rot than others (see link below) but even with them, I'd be surprised if you could get by without spraying. Given your location, insects are probably an issue as well.

What and when are you spraying?

Here is a link that might be useful: Table of resistant peach cultivars

o
RE: disease resistant peach tree

Olpea is a highly competent poster, but may not be sensitive to the intense disease pressure we face in the hot, humid south. Brown rot can be effectively controlled with good sanitation practices and a pre-harvest spray of Captan or Immunox. Our bigger problem here is bacterial spot, whose primary control is through disease-resistant cultivars, such as Redhaven(yellow)or Belle of Georgia(white). There are other fine choices, too.

But, like Olpea, I can only speculate without additional details from you. Can you give us a little more to go on?
Misterbaby.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here