Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cousinfloyd

Shenandoah pear and other scion wood trades?

cousinfloyd
11 years ago

Hi,
I'd really like to get some Shenandoah (pear) scion wood to graft this year. Does anyone have any that might be interested in trading or would be willing to put some in a SASE for me? I have a pretty wide variety of things I could trade in exchange, if anyone is interested in trading. Let me know. There are other things I might be interested in trading, too, if anyone wants to look at my trade list. And if you're close enough to come by in person, I'm always happy to share that way, too.
Thanks!
Eric

Iredell Co., NC

Comments (3)

• cousinfloyd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another gardenweb member recommended Johnson Nursery in GA to me as a source for Shenandoah pears. The guy I talked to said that he sells scion wood and that he does sell Shenandoah trees even though he doesn't have them listed online, but he said he couldn't sell Shenandoah scions because it's patented. I thought it wasn't patented, though, and the USDA article below says it was developed with public resources and is NOT patented. Is it or is it not patented?

Here is a link that might be useful: Shenandoah pear

• wildforager
    11 years ago

he might be confused with a paw paw of the same name...

• cousinfloyd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

He might be confused by the pawpaw, but we were definitely talking pears. He mentioned 2-4 other pear varieties that he sold but didn't have listed online.

In the meantime I talk to the Kearneysville, WV fruit station, and the pear guy there -- I never heard his name -- talked to me, said it for sure isn't patented, and even said he'd call Johnson Nursery to let them know. While I had the opportunity, I asked him what his favorite fireblight resistant pears were and he mentioned Sunrise, Gem (which he said probably wouldn't be available for sale for another couple years), Harrow Sweet, and Harrow Delight.

I also called Edible Landscaping, and they're going to send me a piece of Shenandoah (for $2/piece plus shipping), so I have my source now.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH