Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thomis

question re: top-working this apple tree

thomis
12 years ago

This is a Yates apple tree on bud9. It was planted in November 2007. I never liked the shape this particular tree took and after several severe pruning attempts, decided to lop it off at waist high and start over by top-working it.

I utilized bark grafts to attach 3 pieces of Carolina Red June scion wood from yesterday's pruning. Here is a pic:

{{gwi:61891}}

{{gwi:61893}}

My question is, if this gives me a first set of scaffold limbs, how do I get a central leader out of it? I'm wondering if I can use a nail or similar object to make a spot in the center of the wood and stick another piece of scion wood carved to a point to fit in the nail hole. Would this work? Or can you suggest another method to achieve a central leader. I've done plenty of grafting but this is my first attempt at top-working.

Thanks,

Thomis

Comments (7)

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

The center will not work, no cambium,.. this makes me wonder if you get the cambium in scion lined up with stock?..Take the best growing scion of your graft and get rid of the rest, this will be you central leader.
    You need to support the graft with something, otherwise the wind can break it off, I graft on smaller wood with one scion, in one season it can grow over, no need of support.

• alan haigh
    12 years ago

I would think the tape would prevent the wind from blowing them out if that's vinyl electric tape. I agree that you should chose a singe leader and develop your scaffolds from it to assure a strong union of scaffold branches.

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

No worries for braking it off now, only when the buds grown out
    later in season, a strong gust of wind can break it off.

• thomis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I used bark grafts and I'm confident that the grafts will take. I just didn't know if I should try to achieve a set of scaffolds from the start or not. But I will focus on choosing a strong central leader and see how things take shape.

I should have put something in the pic for scale. The diameter of the Yates "interstem" (I guess is what you'd call it) is about 1 1/8" and each of the three pieces of scion wood is much much smaller, at ~1/8". The grafts are about waist-high on a supported trunk grafted onto bud9.

Thanks for looking.

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

Sure...the graft's look good, please show us your progress and
    we can help later.

What I have done is,..cut back or top off and let waterspout to form and graft on these, sure, you must wait one sason. If you don't want to wait, use a smaller side branch and graft about a foot out from the trunk, then, bend it upward, tie to your main trunk which was cut back a bit. This side branch will be your new leader. Cut the remaining trunk the next season at the level of your new leader.

This was the result, [2 variety] on bottom, [no fruit] is a early apple which I used a smaller side branch method, the top is a late season apple, if it was in reverse, some falling apples could damage the late apples.
    {{gwi:61894}}

• thomis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Your pics are always so good.

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

Thanks...I was out pruning today and took a picture from this tree, dormant, you can see, center bottom only a little of a bump where the center branch was cut off.....perhaps around 8 years ago?

{{gwi:61895}}

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus