Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
slow growing Epears on Betulaefolia

Posted by Noogy 5b (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 11:04

I read somewhere about growing small varieties like seckel and Klementinks on P.betulaefolia and thinking of doing just that. Does anyone have any experience with this or any other? Will the rootstock push out new growth from down below? It seems counterintuitive, but if they're putting goldrush on B118 and expecting a semidwarf, then what's the feasibility of directing such graft towards precocity on a very vigorous stock?
Noogy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: slow growing Epears on Betulaefolia

Small pears because you think a more vigorous rootstock will make fruit bigger? I doubt it will have much affect in that way although certain dwarf rootstocks in certain climates do reduce the size of pears. I don't know how much more vigorous Bet would be than pear seedling- the most common rootstock in my nursery. Seems if Bet helped make bigger fruit it would be well known, but who knows?

o

I thought maybe I could put some excess seckel scionwood on extra Bet I have coming. I just dont want to end up with a huge monster that veg's out on me and feel like an idiot ten years down the road! I might do a couple. I realize I wont get any size gains. Wishful thinking. Imagine a bartlett sized seckel!

o

Seckel should create a manageable tree on any compatible rootstock. It is precocious for a pear and has a very spreading growth.

o

I'll give it a try. Thanks for your opinion Hman.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here