Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Interesting book about cultivating peaches in the mid-west

Posted by harvestman 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 21, 14 at 11:05

http://books.google.com/books?id=MehNAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA79&lpg=PA79&dq=winter+pruning+peach+trees,+cold+injury&source=bl&ots=booSgL0jEs&sig=oU42YgEWsqLBYUwk-GALhiCtB34&hl=en&sa=X&ei=FHcHU4O_HOi80AGc7YDwAg&ved=0CGUQ6AEwBjgK#v=onepage&q=winter pruning peach trees cold injury&f=false

I'll follow up with a link.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Interesting book about cultivating peaches in the mid-west

I found the research particularly interesting about how pruning in summer improved flower bud hardiness IF you get a surge of growth as a result.

This is the opposite of conventional wisdom, but is explained by the fact that hardening off is delayed by this late growth surge which extends dormancy and cold hardiness in mid to late winter because trees are in deeper sleep. Presumably the flowers would be more vulnerable to a very early period of extreme cold.

Here is a link that might be useful: growing peaches

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 21, 14 at 22:24

Thanks for posting this link. Looking forward to reading it when I'm not so tired.

o

I read the peach part plus a lot more, and bookmarked it. looking forward to seeing what Olpea has to say about it.

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 0:02

It is interesting they are recommending to prune to get a late flush of growth in warmer areas where immature wood is not subject to winter kill.

Also interesting how cultural practices change. They recommended thinning peaches to every 3 to 5". Such light thinning would result in very small fruit. Not surprising standards for fruit size were smaller in that day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here