Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bud swelling during cold winter

Posted by Ztom 5 OH (ztom@zoominternet.net) on
Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 11:10

I was looking at my young fruit trees yesterday (plum, peach,cherry), and it seems there has been some noticeable bud swelling over the last month and a half of very cold weather. Is this enough of a sign that they should be all right come spring?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bud swelling during cold winter

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 11:54

Seems unlikely to me that your buds are swelling given how cold it's been. Mine aren't swelling here in alternating heat and cold. Be that as it may the apple should be fine.

On the stone fruit you can cut off some small branches, bring them inside stuck in a jar of water, and see if they bloom. I haven't done this but I believe others have already reported damage.

o

I'm probably mis-using the term "swell". In late fall/early winter, I could barely notice any buds on the trees at all, and the ones that were there were tiny. Now the buds that are there are still very dormant, but I can see their silhouette from a distance. I'm not worried about them blooming this year; I'm just looking for signs of life from the trees.

o

Mine are doing the same. I was just out there looking at them in a foot of snow and they look 1/4 inch at least. I didn't notice them a month ago. However my rasps broke dormancy in my windowless garage and had multiple 6 inch white stems growing. I think I had them too far back from the door.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here