Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsg47

Gutter Strawberries

mrsg47
10 years ago

My three strawberry beds are filled with 'Mara des Bois' strawberries and new weeds, that started last fall. Will they transplant easily into the new 'gutter' system of growing strawberries? They are established plants with strong root systems. I am wondering if the transplanting will put them back a year? I also added 'Honeoye' strawberries that will be arriving this spring. Many thanks, Mrs. G

Comments (9)

• Charlie
    10 years ago

Strawberries transplant very easily. I expand my strawberry patch every year by moving a few. That also provides a rejuvination of the patch. Can you post a picture of your gutters? I am considering building a tiered straeberry gutter system with four levels using 1X3 boards and 10 foot gutters. When I complied the material list it came to more than $200, so I am a bit hesitant.

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Charlie, I am building the the type of 'gutter' garden with gutters on either side of railings around a small deck. I will use large U-shaped hooks to hold up the gutters. I'll give you an estimate of costs and post a pic when the project is completed this spring. Mrs. G

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

We have a gazillion wrought iron fences around decks. I would love to try this on our big deck. It's in the back yard over a lower driveway, so not visible from the street, but if we sprayed the gutter black, it would work. Imagine having wine on the deck with your gal pals, and just picking fresh strawberries to dip in brown sugar and sour cream........... Ahhhh

I need to know how you plug the ends of the gutters. I hope you address that. I'm subscribing to this topic for sure!

Suzi

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dessertdance, I think I will find 'end caps' for the gutters, as they do exist. If not I'll have them made. If that becomes prohibitive in cost, I will use coconut lining fiber, drill holes on the end sides of the the gutters and wire the ends, holding the coconut fiber in place.. That should work. I have until April to figure it out. Will take pics as I go. Mrs. G

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Found the end caps on line at home depot. They will match the shape of my gutters that I will have purchased at Home Depot and cut to size there as well. Phew. Mrs. G

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

I am a subscriber to this thread and can't wait to see how your plan works. We do have HD here, so that part is good. Soil, water? Next part!

Suzi

• mrsg47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Desertdance, this is the original post, I am just a follow up on the original thread. Type this in the search section and the post with photos and tons of info will come up. It is excellent. Mrs. G

An Interesting Way to Grow Strawberries

• Charlie
    10 years ago

Someone post this plan on a previous thread. This is the plan I am considering building. Material from home depot comes to about $220.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

I think i will also build that A-Frame. It looks super easy to do.
    I was at Home Depot and noticed this giant gutter. Seems bigger than house gutters. Maybe not? Perfect for this project.