Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grafting compound same as wound sealer?

Posted by denninmi 6A SE Michigan (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 25, 09 at 11:19

Hello -- can I just use the regular, asphalt-based (I believe) tree wound sealer sold at garden centers as a moisture-retentive coating on grafts?

I am going to try my hand at grafting again -- had to make some years ago in a horticulture class at Michigan State, but they never took. I'm going to start by practicing on apples and pears, on apple and quince rootstock.

In looking online, it seems like the sealers sold for grafting are pretty much the same as tree wound sealer sold at garden centers. It would be cheaper just to pick up locally than mail order. Am I correct on this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grafting compound same as wound sealer?

Tree sealer is black and black heats up. Depending on what type of graft you are doing and what time of year, the black could make things too hot. I only use black sealer on my grape grafts which love to be hot. If you put alu foil over the top you could probably get away with the black sealer.

Scott

o

A friend of mine does it all the time on apple here in Montana, but I don't anymore. I do wrap with parafilm, which is a pretty decent sealer in its own right.

M

o

Dennis- there's a big difference... in price. Asphalt is asphalt. This is called marketing. Wet Patch for roofs is the same stuff at a fraction of the cost. I use acrylic latex caulk in the tube for grafting with no problems. There's asphalt caulk in tubes if you just gotta have that black look.

o

Good idea fruithack. I think all the "doc farwells" grafting compound is is a tube of latex caulk dyed yellow and diluted with water to make a very thick paint. It has the identical smell.

Scott

o

Thanks, that helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here