Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning ratios for Asian pears

Posted by Noogy 5b (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 11:20

I've read on previous posts about pruning back vigor in Euro pears' branches in relation to the trunk size. I see my 1 year Yoinashi and Olympics have branches that exceed 1/2 diameter of the trunk. Should the same formula be used, seen that they're more precocious than Epears? I expect similarities, but know they're different too. thanks
noogy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning ratios for Asian pears

Because Asians are so precocious there is not so much gained by pruning by ratios as long as branches are smaller than trunk and don't starve the leader if you intend to keep the tree central leader.

Pear branches are also less prone to breakage because of sharp angles as other species but you still probably would want the branches spread. If branches are too thick it becomes more difficult to spread them without bending the leader instead of the branch. A hinge can help for this.

o
RE: Pruning ratios for Asian pears

Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here