Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bumps on apples

Posted by fcc0 Central PA (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 11:34

My apples were attacked when very small and were apparently scarred by some insect. The scars were small but eventually turned into bumps. All 6 varieties were attacked, although on the Granny Smith apples, the bumps stayed green but on this Enterprise apple, they look brown. Is this plum curcurlio damage? I found very little that looked like this in my 'apple damage' Google search! The good news is that it did not seem to prevent the fruit from storing well, and we are still eating nice apples.

Thanks for any help on this!

Frank

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bumps on apples

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 15:23

I've seen a few of those over the years. Don't know the cause but it eats the same so doesn't bother me.

o

"Lygocoris communis" (Knight), green apple bug injury? They in your state? Looks like:
http://extension.psu.edu/plants/tree-fruit/insects-mites/tarnished-plant-bugs-other-plant-bugs-and-stink-bugs

http://extension.psu.edu/plants/gardening/fphg/stone/insect-and-mite-pests/plant-stink-bugs
and more info:
http://cropipm.creativedonkeys.com/english/apples/insects/tarnished-plant-bug.html

See fig 4-68 (image) in hyperlink below and this one:
http://www.agrireseau.qc.ca/references/21/banqueimages/html/WebInsecte/Pommier/Album220.html which leads me to believe this is the culprit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tarnished plant bug and other stinging insects

This post was edited by Fascist_Nation on Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 16:10

o

FCCO

It looks like plum curculio damage to me. If so, the scar
would be a small crescent shape in July but as the apple
enlarges it becomes the giant lump you see on your apples
when ripe.

I attached a shot of curulio damage on ripe apple.

o

FCC:

Here is a shot of curculio scars on young apple.

o

• Posted by fcc0 Central PA (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 3, 14 at 14:04

Thanks for the feedback! I contacted the cooperative extension here in PA and they agreed with you that the damage was Plum Curcurlio. Your picture looks a lot like mine, but most of the pictures of PC damage on the web show patches that are flat and not raised, and this made ID difficult. My wife and I did some scouting around when we first saw the damage when the apples were tiny, and I remember now that she did find a snout-beetle hanging around and that I had thought that PC might be the problem. I was using Malathion and Triazicide (Cyhalothrin) as insecticides, but I see from my notes that timing may have been poor. I sprayed some fungicide late in the bloom period on May 10 and the next entry for spraying was June 4. At that point, I noted that most of the gumball-sized apples already had small bite marks (tiny and round, not really crescent-shaped). I might have had another spray in there that I did not record, but maybe not. My current thoughts for this year are: 1. Take better notes so I can learn from my efforts. 2. Spray the apples right before bloom starts and definitely right after bloom ends to get those darn curculios!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here