Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spray Schedule for Pear Trees

Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 11:44

I have a Moonlight and a Keiffer pear trees planted 2 years ago. They are growing well. I need to know what kind of a spray schedule I need for them. I am getting ready to spray with dormant oil spray. After that, I don't know what kind of spray to use and how often. What kind of schedule should I put these trees on? I live in east Texas, 2 hours north of Houston. Thanks!
Judith

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spray Schedule for Pear Trees

Pears are the only trees that I never have to spray and you shouldn't either.

o

I never spray my Keiffers. My Moonglow hasn't fruited yet but I'm not planning on spraying it. I wouldn't think you'd have to spray in 8b.

o

Stink bugs ruined my pears last year and I'm trying to figure out the best option to deal with them - last fall I was given the advice to use Surround (fine kaolin clay) once every week or two for three sprayings right after petal fall. I don't think stink bugs have become a problem (yet) as far west as Texas, not sure what other pests are a problem for pears but I think Surround is good for anything that affects young fruit. Hopefully some more experienced fruit growers will be able to help more. Just trying to relay some of the advice I got last year.

o

I got Fabraea Leaf Spot in my pears last year. This winter I've already done Bordeaux Mixture, and there is a schedule starting bud-to-bloom of fungicides (mancozeb is listed) to try to clear it up for this year.

I don't know if that's in your area, but I'd probably dormant spray a fungicide if it is just in case. I'm new to this, though! I've definitely got Fabraea, however.

o

I believe in spraying after I have some idea what I'm up against. As suggested, your pears may require no spray at all, but you won't ever know if you spray preemtively. The point of the varieties you are trying to grow is that they are pest resistant. Test them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here