Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jujigirl_gw

Mystery plum

jujigirl
10 years ago

We have a small tree that's seemingly growing out of (along the side) the base of a tree stump from a tree that was cut down. When we bought the house we thought the tree was dead, but low and behold come spring it was covered in white blossoms. No fruit, but we never really watered it. Last year the same thing, only we got ONE small plum (which some animal stole before I could examine it).

I've heard that if it's an ornamental plum it could produce a fruit now and then, but I'm also wondering if maybe it's a regular plum that doesn't have a pollinator? Is there any way to tell? Maybe that one plum was the result of pure luck and the neighbor's (kind of far away) plum tree? I'm tempted to get another plum tree back there just to see...and I guess the safest one to pollinate others would be a Santa Rosa? (I'm in So Cal by the way)

The people who had our house in the past planted tons of edibles (9 orange trees, grapefruit, lemon, pomegranate) so I actually find it strange that there would've been a plum that didn't fruit.

Anyhow, just curious if anyone has any ideas. :) I can't find pics of the blossoms, but I'm attaching some of the tree/leaves from last year.

This post was edited by jujigirl on Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 12:59

Comments (7)

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure