Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
articulating or telescoping lift for picking?

Posted by oldryder (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 12:05

I am looking at buying a telescoping or articulating lift for this year as I have extensive maintenance to do on a log home. My original plan was to sell the lift at the end of the summer but it occurred to me that it might make sense to keep it. the log maintenance will be a reoccurring need down the road but hopefully never as big a job as I have for this year.

I have about 150 young (1-4 years old) fruit trees. Most are semi-d but I do have about 50 cherry trees on std stock.
Is such a lift a viable option from fruit picking? lift would be suitable for "rough terrain" with a 35' (or better) working height.

I'm not planning a commercial operation but may do a hobby farm approach a few years down the road when I'm retired assuming I can learn all the additional things I need to know to do that successfully.

comments?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: articulating or telescoping lift for picking?

I wouldn't buy one just to pick fruit but if you already had it then it should work fine. You could set it up and swing it around to pick a few trees at a time by using the extension to reach the different trees. It would give you something stable to work off of when you had to pick the taller trees.

o
RE: articulating or telescoping lift for picking?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 13:57

I'd think you'd have trouble reaching anything except the outer fruit. A tree that big will have a lot of fruit inside the canopy.

I'd much prefer smaller trees.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here