Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flooding strawberries in the winter

Posted by oohstella 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 12:09

Hello!

I live in Portland, OR, which rains a lot. I'm eyeing a spot in my backyard for a strawberry patch, but my boyfriend says that that spot floods too much in the winter so they would die. My point is that it's usually a very dry and sunny spot in the summer, so they would do well (we get three months of zero rain in the summer and the rest of the year is drizzly/rainy), and strawberries tend to die out in the winter anyway. What do you think? Would their root system be damaged beyond repair in a spot that gets a lot of roof-water runoff?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flooding strawberries in the winter

By the way, we are renters, so please do not judge for the state of our dilapidated shed!

o

It is a small area, what about adding a box made with 2x8's to elevate them? I don't know how much gutter costs, but the gutter that is there is dumping into your spot.... I have no shed, so can't fault yours.

an additional thought. Based on my experience a raspberry bush would be more rewarding.

This post was edited by cckw on Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 12:41

o

Hello: Maybe you could make a frame that can lean up against the wall to divert the water away during the winter. Use 2x2's and clear plastic or something. Fresh Strawberries sure are tasty....Good Luck!

o

...or just add more used bricks to the area. The strawberries would do better in soil raised a few inches. Commercial fields in the Portland area use hilled-up rows. These fields in winter are puddled between rows and the plants remain unflooded.

Using a raised area also makes it easier to deter slugs by providing a distinct area for bait and other deterrants.

It's all a moot point anyway unless that gutter is fixed; that much roof runoff will overwater anything planted there. The momentum of heavier runoffs could wet the soil over a foot away from the wall and will drill holes in the soil due to the several feet of drop.

That little patch of ground looks handy, but has its problems.

Check out some recent forum posts on alternative strawberry planting methods.

o

A 10 ft piece of gutter should cost you about $8, and a couple of brackets maybe another $8.

I would't think about planting anything there without dealing with the gutter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here