Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cousinfloyd

grafting high?

cousinfloyd
11 years ago

I've gotten to the point where I'm expanding with fruit trees into areas with higher deer pressure, and I'm wondering what I should consider when grafting high, like 5-6' high. I'd like to know about other species, too, but I'm particularly thinking about persimmons. Will I see any difference at all grafting 5-6' high versus 6"? What about grafting naturally smaller Asian persimmons 5-6' high on a native rootstock? Will I basically get a dwarf tree on a pedestal?

Does it ever matter when grafting how old the wood is on the rootstock? I know scion wood should be last year's growth, but what about the roostock? Does it matter if I cut off all of last year's growth (or even the last few years' growth) and graft lower on the rootstock?

Does age of the rootstock matter? I have some persimmon seedlings that may be 20 years old that have just been bush hogged every year and have come back. They look like younger trees, but some of them have really thick roots, so they must be pretty old. Should I be wary of using older seedlings like this for rootstock?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio