Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mohammadlawati

What can I do for this Mulberry tree?

MohammadLawati
10 years ago

Welcome to my thread everyone!
It has been a year since I started growing this mulberry tree. Now the buds started to reveal these flowers that look like tentacles from a squid or an octopus...
{{gwi:62315}}
I want to know if this is a female mulberry or a male? I think it is a female tree? correct me if I am wrong.
If it is a female, what can I do to find another male, and how does its flower look like, and can I graft a male part to the female tree? I want to ask also if another variety of mulberry will be able to pollinate my tree?
{{gwi:62316}}
I am thinking of purchasing some Pakistani mulberry which has male and female parts to pollinate my (I think it is Persian) mulberry tree, and produce me some Pakistani mulberry at the same time...
Is this possible?
Here is a picture of a leaf. Its leaves look like hearts.
{{gwi:62317}}
To sum everything up:
1- Is this a female Mulberry tree?
2- How does the other gender look like?
3- Can I graft a male branch on it?
4- Can other varieties of mulberry pollinate it?
5- Is this a Persian mulberry?
Thanks to all that help me in my journey in my little garden.
I hope you all have a great season :)

This post was edited by MohammadLawati on Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 12:23

Comments (10)

• glib
    10 years ago

Both the leaf and the flower look female, at least compared to the northern mulberries. The males have more deeply lobed leaves, and the females have green flowers which already look like a future berry. Any variety of northern mulberry will pollinate any other variety, not sure about warm weather ones. If they do pollinate, without a doubt a second tree with one male branch and the rest female will do the trick for both trees.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

If a Persian,then it's a Morus Nigra (Black) Mulberry,so probably a Pakistan,Morus Alba (White) could not pollinate or be grafted to it. Brady

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

I take my above statement back.I just read that they will graft together,but am not sure about pollination. Brady

• MohammadLawati
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks glib I will go hunt a male down to see if I could graft.
    Bradybb This is a problem hehehe I wanted to hit two birds with one stone XD I guess it only works in TV... I will try and evaluate my situation on grafting now.

• fabaceae_native
    10 years ago

It does look like a Morus nigra with female flowers. These trees do not require pollination, and all produce seedless fruit. I don't know much about graft compatibility, except that my Morus nigra are grafted onto Morus alba rootstock. They supposedly are easily propagated by cuttings, but I've been unsuccessful so far.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

I guess if some different varieties are acquired,experimentation could be done and get a multi-grafted Mulberry and have fruit at different times,although I've never seen or heard of one. Brady

• MohammadLawati
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks fabaceae_native !
    I went on a hunting trip for some males and everyone was looking me strange and saying that I didn't need one... I do not really know what to do I even went to my friend's house and saw that he has two females and they fall. I was livid by the time I finished my 9th destination without finding a male mulberry. I will see what these will do now after you have mentioned they don't need pollination. Wish me good luck :)

• MohammadLawati
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Bradybb,
    I heard one person say he has a mulberry tree (tree already) that can bear fruits without pollination and it is a hybrid or something like this... Maybe a graft I didn't get him accurately because of the language barrier. Basically he said he got some from Syria which have long and thick fruits... He told me to call him in two days until he brings them from a farm...
    I hope this is true as I am hyped now.

• fabaceae_native
    10 years ago

Sounds true to me. Actually, most selected varieties of mulberry, even of other species (Morus alba, M. rubra, etc...) are self-fertile, and Morus nigra is as a rule, typically producing those seedless fruits.

Good luck!

• MohammadLawati
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks fabaceae_native!
    I will post something if I get it ;)