Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie peach spray question

Posted by princesspea sunset14 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 12:24

Hi all,
I am growing peaches the first time and I am confused about the spraying for leaf curl thing. The trees I have are "resistant" according to the Dave Wilson tags on them. They look like they will break bud within days and I want to know, do I need to spray?
I understand they need it three times, the nursery they came from is very well known for its great fruit tree culture so I am sure they sprayed earlier if needed. But being Saturday, nobody there is picking up the phone! (It's a small family business).
Gardenwebbers, can you help a girl out? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie peach spray question

If they are about to break bud it may be too late, but if you want to try, you need to do it immediately.

Carla in Sac

o

I would spray with copper, asap. Mrs. G

o

thanks guys, this helps lots. I managed to talk to the guy at the nursery and he says they have been sprayed 3x but need one more at valentines day.

o

Princess Pea:

Peach leaf curl is caused by a fungus (Taphrina deformans).
The fungus overwinters on buds, bark ect. When the bud scales swell and crack in spring, the fungus attacks the meristem. The leaves will open up twisted/puckered and have pink or yellow lumps on them. Once you see this, you will never forget this disease.

To prevent, you must spray with a fungicide BEFORE the leaf
buds crack open. It is too late to spray afterwards and get control. I spray with chlorothalonil in late March and
again a second spray the first week in April for SE WI. Your area is different than mine so all I can say is that you need to spray while the tree is dormant and be sure to
cover the entire tree (trunk, branches ect).

I cannot comment on "resistant" peach varieties as I have no experience with them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here