Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Persimmon recomendation

Posted by treedan 10 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 12:24

im on the boarder of 9/10, i tryed a Persimmon and loved it. i would like to add a Persimmon to my yard, can anyone recomend a good fruiting verity foor my area and are they self polinating or do a need a second tree? thanks dan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Persimmon recomendation

Jiro, the most productive tree in california. Seft-fertile.

Tony

This post was edited by tonytran on Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 9:06

o

Fuyu! Self polinating. Zone 9b here. Tons of production!

o

I would add Eureka to that list. Mine are from Womacks and they have several varieties and good trees. They also have a good reputation.

o

thankyou, next month i will be shopping for a tree at local nursry

o

i was at the flea market today and sw a tree labeled "south fl Persimmon" but it did not have any leafs, so i passed, do they go dormant? even down here in fl my peach/apple lose leafs in winter but im still learning about Persimmon

o

They absolutely go dormant! Most of our other fruit trees have blossomed and are leafing out, but the persimmon is late.

o

thank you that helps alot

o

1. If you are borderline 9b/10a in Florida I suspect your planting season started in January. Hope you can still find them at your local fruit tree nursery.

2. Assuming you want a non-astringent variety I would have suggested a grafted Giant Fuyu (Hana Fuyu). Bigger fruit. Not sure what the best graft would be in Florida.

3. My persimmons are all still dormant. In fact, the neat thing about them is you pretty much wait until the leaves fall off to harvest.

Another FL mail order I use:
http://www.chestnuthilltreefarm.com/store/c/39-Native-and-Oriental-Persimmon-Trees.aspx

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida mail order I use

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here