Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Earliest Primocane raspberry

Posted by bberry Me 4-5 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 4, 14 at 12:24

The frost always gets the fruit in the fall on the ones that I have now. I think these are the Heritage. What a waste to see all the green ones turn black. Any new types out there that are 3-4 weeks earlier ripening?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Earliest Primocane raspberry

I don't have any experience myself but Nourse farms list several that start a month before Heritage - check out their harvest dates in their raspberry steps to success guide:

Here is a link that might be useful: Nourse Raspberry Growing

o

Last I looked Prelude was the earliest (you can guess why they named it that). I grew it and it is an excellent berry, highly recommended.

Scott

o

Prelude is a Florocane.Ripe fruit in early summer.bberry is asking about an early fall bearer.I live in the northern edge of zone 4.My earliest Primocane by far is Polana.Lots of ripe fruit from late August through September.

Unless you have an early spring and late frost,Heritage doesn't make it here either.

o

I just wanted to make note that I have seen the first year they sometimes fruit late, but fruit earlier the 2nd year. So don't judge it by one year. I'm not talking about Heritage here, it looks like a late bloomer. I saw this on Fall Gold, and others. The Polish plants must fruit early. I have Polka and that also fruits early. It did the first year too!
I don't have Heritage but a sport of Heritage Kiwi Gold, and that did fruit late, but made it here in 6a.

o

Prelude also produces a primocane crop in late summer and continues until frost.

o

Has anyone noticed a difference in taste w/the second cropping of Prelude? Mine last year were so bad I quit picking them. I'd like to blame it on drought, but that usually concentrates the sugars.

o

• Posted by bob_z6 6b/7a SW CT (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 19:20

I also like Prelude- mid-June for first and mid-Aug for 2nd crop. As RobThomas notes, they keep producing well until the frost.

Due to SWD, the only worthwhile fall raspberry for me this past year was Anne (yellow). Hopefully it wasn't the worms giving it a bad flavor for you :)

o

Thanks everyone. From what I have been reading, Prelude may have one of the very earliest crops in the spring. It's second crop in the fall is not much earlier than the Heritage. That second crop is the one I want and I now need an opinion on Polana and perhaps Polka. Anyone out there growing these?

o

I'm not growing them, but I have tried them. One of the benefits of living near Madison, and the UW Agricultural Research Station, is their research plot of many varieties of raspberries.

Polka had a medium-sized berry with a very sweet and good flavor.

Polana had a medium-sized berry with a traditional tart red raspberry flavor.

o

Himbo Top was another for me that produced early. I didn't like the berries very much. Not bad, but others like Polka tasted better. I kept the plant though because it is a prolific producer, out producing all the others. It was nice to have all the berriees, they were not that bad.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here