Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raspberry Shortcake Dwarf Thornless Raspberry

Posted by zaphod42 SE WI 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 12:32

Would love to have a raspberry patch, but lack the available space and location for the traditional variety. Came across Raspberry Shortcake Dwarf Thornless Raspberry. I'm contemplating the idea of putting it into a container for near the patio. Has anyone tried this dwarf variety? Thoughts? Would I need to overwinter in the garage if it was in a larger container or could I leave it out? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raspberry Shortcake Dwarf Thornless Raspberry

I am not an expert. I've been growing only a few fruits in containers for only a few years.

You could probably leave the pot outside for the winter if you bury the pot in leaves. I live in zone 5 and this approach has worked for me in the past (we'll see about -20 degrees.)

Unfortunately, you probably wouldn't get much fruit from raspberries in a single pot. I don't know anything about that variety. But a pot would have room for a limited number of canes. However, a small harvest might be better than none.

Would you consider another type of fruit? I currently grow blueberries, blackberries, and sweet cherries in pots. I think any of those would give you a larger yield.

o

That raspberry cultivar is meant to grow in a pot. It is more of a bush than a vine. They introduced a couple blueberries too from this breeder. The call all three BrazelBerries. The blueberries are Peach Sorbet and Jelly BeanÖ .

Here's some info:
Fruit gardeners with limited space and an eye for beauty will love the the BrazelBerries® They are new dwarf blueberries and raspberries bred to thrive in containers. True edible ornamentals, they are beautiful in all seasons and produce lots of delicious fruit in small spaces. They are perfect for folks with limited space who want to grow their own healthy food on a balcony or patio. They will also thrive planted in the ground in your yard. Raintree for many years has specialized in edible plants for the different niches in your yard including many varieties that will grow well in pots.

o

This variety has been discussed a few times here at Gardenweb. Click the link below for a targeted Google search of the forums...

Here is a link that might be useful: Targeted Google Search

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here