Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jujigirl_gw

Need two trees, debating about which.....

jujigirl
10 years ago

Hi All - I'm in Los Angeles, and am looking to plant two fruit trees in our front yard (we have a large, all sun front yard). Currently we have a Santa Barbara Peach, an Arctic Star Nectarine, a Blenheim Apricot, and an Asian Pear (not sure the kind, but I was told it was self-pollinating).

My goal is to have a nice sampling of fruit for my 3 year old to have as he grows up (currently he's not that into apples, but who knows if that will change). That said, I'd like to keep somewhat similar looks with deciduous trees, and nothing too large.

Here's what I'm debating between:

1) Anna's Apple & a Peacotum
or
2) Flavor Grenade pluot & a Santa Rosa Plum (these two seem like they'd be different enough, i hope)
or
3) Burgundy Plum and Anna's Apple

The peacotum is 500 chill hours, so (given this winter) we could end up with no fruit. That said, it sounded like the most interesting, though I love the idea that the Flavor Grenade fruit can hang on the tree for a long time (ha, if we had no birds) and of course I've heard the Santa Rosa is the most reliable.

What do you all think in terms of taste or experience? Anything else you'd recommend?

This post was edited by jujigirl on Mon, Feb 10, 14 at 13:31

Comments (7)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    10 years ago

I've tried all those except Anna apple. My choices would be Flavor Grenade and Burgundy plum. That's based partly on taste and partly because I think they'll harvest in an open window of your harvest schedule.

You might also consider a Flavor Finale pluot, it's even later.

It won't look the same but the right fig, like Kadota, would harvest June and August till frost. There should be a place for a fig in most landscapes. A three year old that likes fruit would probably like figs. They can be an acquired taste and now would be the time to learn. Very healthy food.

For a winter fruit Hachiya persimmon or in fall Fuyu persimmon.

• jujigirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you! Well, I bought a burgundy plum and an anna apple. :) So at least I got part of your suggestion!

And as for figs, yes, i love them and grew up with them and we've got one growing as a volunteer under a palm tree (very tiny, but it seems happy there next to an abutilon), and one that we just transplanted from a spot where everything dies (I'm blaming the eucalyptus), so hopefully that will do well in its new spot. We must have figs, I agree. And I actually am eying a persimmon too.... Thank you!

• eboone_gw
    10 years ago

Do you have another apple nearby for pollination of that Anna?

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Anna is self polinating, and there was a tree on this property when we purchased it. Old tree.

My husband is NOT an apple lover, but one taste of the Anna won him over. It was bred in Israel for warm climates, and thrives here in Riverside county. We just purchased another.

It is crisp, very sweet with a little tang! Great for eating, and makes delicious pies!

You can probably convert your son if you slice it and let him dip it in honey and peanut butter mixed with a little yogurt or sour cream. Kids love to dip!!

Suzi

• MrClint
    10 years ago

Burgundy plum is a great choice for our locale. It's one of my absolute favorites. applenut doesn't speak too highly of Anna, maybe Kevin will come along and speak to that. Even so, if you found something that you like, you should stick with it.

• jujigirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just curious about this, but what do you all think of the 3 or 4 in 1 apple trees? I was asking someone about a 4-in-1 tree and they told me they don't do that well. But I know that the local nursery has an apple tree that's Anna, Dorsett and Fuji (i think, something like that, i have to look into it) which sounds great but only if it performs.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

There was one on this property when we purchased it, but it got fire blight and died. It's gone, and a standard ruby red grapefruit is doing fine in it's spot. It may have been weakened by all those grafts. Who knows? I'm happy with 2 Anna Apples. We have 1.5 acres so just in case fire blight decides to happen again, only one will be affected... We hope!

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!