Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Our Awakening Orchards in Pictures

Posted by mes111 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 12:55

Hi ..
I would really like t see a slideshow of all of our individual gardens/orchards as they awaken this spring.

How about posting some photos with date, tree type and location as the season progresses.

Should prove nice.

Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Our Awakening Orchards in Pictures

Eva's Pride A few weeks ago. She is all thinned and has quarter size fruit now.

o

Goldkist Apricot from last week, San Jose, CA

o

• Posted by bob_z6 6b/7a SW CT (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 23:26

I couldn't wait for my orchard to awaken outside. So, I brought in a Carmine Jewel bush cherry right around New Years. This pic is as of about 2 weeks ago, at which point we had a few inches of snow on the ground and 2+ feet more coming in the next week.

Last year, I did the same thing with a potted White Gold cherry tree. It looked nice, but didn't set any fruit. It is still early, but I now see what appears to be small fruit-lets on the Carmine Jewel.

o

That's beautiful bob.Is yours grafted? Brady

o

Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 8:24

As far as I can tell, it isn't grafted. Until I saw someone post about it recently, I thought that all of the Romance series bush cherries were grown on their own roots. In the spring of 2011, I planted it in a plastic Home Depot pot (similar to the one the recently pruned tomato is using, just behind it in the photo). Then 1 year later, I moved it to a 7 gallon Roottrapper (white fabric pot). Other than watering and killing some aphids, I haven't needed to do anything. It grew a nice shape all on its own and had its first two cherries this past summer. In contrast, the two other Carmine Jewel I planted in-ground at the same time haven't done well. One died this past spring and the other is still tiny, only a couple feet high. It has also done better than my other potted fruit trees/bushes, so this may be an idea plant to keep in a pot.

o

Bob, I wouldn't expect fruit unless it were pollinated.
Northwoodswis

o

Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 0:44

Northwoodswis, To the best of my knowledge, Carmine Jewel is self-fertile. I'm not sure if it needs wind or insects, but I have periodically flicked the tree- maybe it will be enough. If not, it was certainly a nice ornamental this winter.

Here's a pic from today. In my hand are a few blooms which fell, I assume without pollination. Above my hand are two small cherries, which seem to be growing. Time will tell.

o

Here's a photo of the Carmine Jewels I have.The tall one is grafted on Gisela and the other on it's own roots. Brady

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here