Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting new trees next to fallen tree

Posted by MrsG47 7 RI (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 13:01

Hi all. I have two apricot trees arriving in late April. I lost my 'Harglow' in Hurricane Sandy it snapped off at the union graft. The trunk was 4-5" in diameter. I will have to dig up the trunk and most of the roots. The tree was on Lovell and suckered horribly. I will not put a new apricot tree in the same hole, but is it all right to plant the new trees on either side of the hole where the old 'harglow' lived? Many thanks Mrs. G

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting new trees next to fallen tree

Maybe a bad idea, but I wouldn't be able to resist grafting something onto one of the more vigorous suckers. Why let a huge root system go to waste? The new tree would be in a real hurry to replace the canopy to match the root system below. But I'm kind of a grafting addict...so ignore me and let wiser minds weigh in.

o
RE: Planting new trees next to fallen tree

Yukkuri, Maybe its now or never, but what a great idea. The trunk is sticking up about three inches above the ground and is still bright orange. (the tree snapped in Oct. Can I graft part a branch from one of my new apricot trees into the stump? Mrs. G

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here