Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wickson ripening date/how far north?

Posted by windfall_rob vt4 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 13:26

Anyone fruiting Wickson:

I would be grateful to hear your average harvest date relative to some other mid-later season apples...Honeycrisp, Northern Spy,Black Oxford, Reine de reinette (thats for you Scott;)) or any other benchmarks I can use.

I gather it is a late season apple, but have not determined how late. And while supposed to be Z4 hardy, I am not sure I can fully ripen it this far north.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wickson ripening date/how far north?

Good question! Interested as well. (have scions ordered).

o

Wickson is a late apple, its a touch later than Reine Des Reinettes for me. Its just before GoldRush, Orleans Reinette, and Rubinette.

Scott

o

Well I know the timing and sequence won't correspond exactly but that is helpful Scott.
I just came across one chart that has it just prior to or with honeycrisp, which overlaps RdR for me.
If that's the case I shouldn't have any trouble with it.

Scott, are you saying Rubinette ripens close to goldrush? I thought it was quite a bit earlier? I had heard folks are getting ripe rubinette in the north, but to my knowledge goldrush just is not happening. Perhaps the cultivars behave differently moving north?
You have me nervous as I have a rubinette in this years tree orders

o

Rob, in looking at my logs more I would not put Rubinette so late - the year it was late the tree was young and young trees don't ripen on as reliable a schedule. I should have looked at other years, for example this year Rubinette ripened before Hewes, Hawaii, Blenheim Orange, etc. This last year RdR did not set so I was not looking at that year when comparing logs for you.

This last year Wickson ripened even later though, it was similar to GoldRush and Winesap.

Scott

o

thanks for taking the time to look at that scott I appreciate it.

It sounds like wickson may be stretch on some years....I can work with that.....just makes them more of a treat!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here