Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sprays for potted cherry trees

Posted by queenskitchen 7 (NYC) (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 4, 14 at 13:39

I have a lapins and black gold which were growing great last year until mid summer, when i had what originally appeared to be Oriental fruit moth damage (although that was not completely confirmed by the fine folks here). I also had some oozing and gum on the trunk and lower branches and worried that it may have been a canker.
The ends of the brnaches started to die back and i had some brown spots on the leaves, which leaves eventually died.

I am hoping to avoid the damage this year as it will be my third year with the trees and hoping to get fruit.

what i think i have figured out si that i should do a dormant oil spray or horticultrual oil (neem?) sometime around march and maybe a copper spray around the same time? I think some dormant oils also have copper? Anything else i would need to spray? I had a minimal amount of jap beetles, which mostly chomped on my pink lemonade blueberries.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sprays for potted cherry trees

That sounds like canker. I had a big problem with it last year in my potted cherry and peach trees. There is no spray for it. I've read that an increased PH helps as does increased nitrogen in the soil. A fall (before leaf drop) folar application of urea might also help.

Here is a link that might be useful: folar urea

o

Queen,

I think you have two common cherry tree diseases; leave spot and canker.

Myclobutanil brand I use is Immunox made by Spectracide. It also helps with Cedar Apple Rust if you have apples.

Canker is harder. Common practice is to keep a tree healthy (in pot - not letting the tree becomes water- stressed or over-wateried) and cut off cankers branch (if possible)

I attached a link for you to check it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cherry tree diseases

o

below is a link to some pictures from early summer showing the branch die back and leaf spots. The canker type gum and weeping was in late summer. At that point 75% of leaves were probably gone.

So spectracide as leaves emerge seems to be the way to go. What about a dormant spray also?

Here is a link that might be useful: Prior post with pictures

o

I agree with others re. dead shoots. It looked very much like an OFM damage. I had it on my peaches but not on the cherry, though.

I spray it with Triazicide Once and Done, also made by Spectracide. OFM may have up to 5 generations in a growing season so you may have to spray a few times starting soon after petal fall (when flowers gone). OFM attacks both fruit and branch tips/shoots.

For leave spot, look for Immunox (I bought concentrated one), not Immunox Plus .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here