Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
armyofda12mnkeys

Best tasting Sea-Buckthorn (Seaberry) and HoneyBerry / shade tole

armyofda12mnkeys
12 years ago

I was thinking about adding some plants to the more shaded/colder parts of the backyard.

So putting some Gooseberries and Currants which i read they can do decent in shade (Black Velvet, Jeanne gooseberry and BlackDown/Belaruskja black currants,Jonkheer Von Tets red currants, Primus/White Imperial white currants).

Would be growing these in Philadelphia, PA area (humid summers, cold >20F winters).

I was also debating doing some SeaBuckthorn and Honeyberries [saw they need male/female to produce]. Anyway just wanted to ask:

Can Seabuckthorns/Honeyberries handle shade and produce fruit there?

What are best varieties that you have tasted for fresh eating?

Heard Honeyberries can taste somewhat like blueberries. Any varieties esp take on this flavor?

Also Heard SeaBuckThorns can taste like Passionfruit, any varieties especially note any of that kinda flavor?

My only experience was to on a whimm, get a Seabuckthorn hookah (tobacco) flavor just to see what it would 'taste' like and it smelled mostly like prunes haha, but i dont want to base my fruit decisions based on tobacco ;) lol.

Comments (12)

• glib
    12 years ago

Honeyberry will handle shade, seaberry most definitely not. Get the related goumi if you want an eleagnus that can fruit in some shade. Honeyberry might be a bit out of range, make sure you get a Japanese variety.

• armyofda12mnkeys
    Original Author
    12 years ago

k, i shall research Japanese ones... so my area might be too warm for Honeyberry? Are they worth growing or blueberries are way better anyway. (i imagine these as giant blueberries, maybe less bland or more tart?)

Also how about Goji berry? I got one of those lying around as well.

• glib
    12 years ago

Northern Japan is Zone 7 too, but Siberia is Zone 5 and below. Lonicera (honeyberry) comes from both regions. Surely sellers will be able to help you with picking the right variety for your site. Too much taste variation cmp. to blueberry, the advantage is they will take any soil. You will have to roll the dice and try for yourself. I am not sure about goji in shade.

• Ernie
    12 years ago

Since we're in somewhat similar climates, I thought I'd share some info from Lidia at Berries Unlimited. I contacted her earlier this year because I was thinking about trying honeyberries here in NC.

I try to grow them in Arkansas, Zone 7. They grow here, they are very adaptable but for commercial growing I'd recommend zone 2-4. You can try but IF the winter is mild they can wake up earlier and then to be frozen standing with half opened buds. IF the weather is under -7C or start blooming in the fall as they do in Oregon very often (here in AR they have not not done it)....You'll have to give them water in summer, especially when it is over 85F, dry and they are young (under 5 yo).

"They can grow in shade but they can not fruit nicely being in shade! You can put them under oak tree, which is late with leaves then they'll get more sunshine while they are in bloom and bearing."

• larry_gene
    12 years ago

Also, seaberries take far more room than the other plants you proposed. Buryatian seaberry varieties are said to be more compact, but if a standard male pollinator is shipped with them, the male gets very large or needs annual heavy pruning.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    12 years ago

I bought two Haskap(Honeyberry)subspecies,emphyllocalyx from Maxine Thompson,where she had a table at the Orchard Show in Canby,Oregon last Fall.She has done extensive work with this plant from Japan.
    I was hesitant to get Honeyberry from any seller because of some reports of them being somewhat sour.She said maybe people were picking them too soon and the Japanese ones were better suited to a more moderate climate than the Russian species.
    I have never tried a Honeyberry,but am looking forward to it.The ones I have are just starting to bud.I'm not sure if it's male and female that are needed for fruiting.What I think Maxine said,that it took two "different" plants.Maybe like Blueberries or some kinds of fruit trees.
    Here is Maxine's phone number and e-mail.She will be better to talk about these plants.She lives in Corvallis,Oregon.I believe some growers are working with her in other parts of the country,that she may refer to. Brady
    Dr.Maxine M. Thompson
    Phone:541.745.7266
    e-mail:thompsom@onid.orst.edu

Note:the last letter in her e-mail name is "m" rather than "n".

• armyofda12mnkeys
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cool thanks guys. Maybe rule out Seaberry, but I'll look into HoneyBerries and contact her for some advice.

• carolync1
    12 years ago

Here I grow the Crandall clove currant in part shade. A little rangy, but sweet enough to eat from the bush in our hot climate.

• larry_gene
    12 years ago

For those in the Portland, Oregon region, Bradybb refers to the "All About Fruit Show" produced by the Home Orchard Society. It is held every autumn.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    12 years ago

Yes,thanks larry gene.I was trying to remember the name and organization. Brady

• denninmi
    12 years ago

I have 4 different varieties of honeyberry. While I see a lot of difference in the size of the fruit, and the bushes for that matter, there isn't much difference in the flavor. All of them taste the same. Pretty much like a somewhat underripe blueberry when raw, like a tart blueberry when cooked.

Another good fruit for some shade is autumn olive. I got a couple of the named, improved varieties from Hidden Spring Nursery in TN in 2009, and I am really impressed with the fruit. It's the closest thing I'm ever going to be able to grow to a pomegranate here in Michigan in terms of flavor, and I kind of like the sort of "gummy" texture of the fruit as well.

• armyofda12mnkeys
    Original Author
    12 years ago

denninmi, sent you an email last night.
    Autumn Olives seem interesting if they can get a pomegranate taste...
    I do see Rolling River Nursery has some of the HSN autumn olives, but sold out of Jewel. Wouldn't happen to have cuttings of one you can send (if you can root them easily)?

-Arian

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations