Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Prune Apache Rubus Blackberry?

Posted by garrai81 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 13:47

I bought some Apache blackberry plants last year, and they fruited a little, before getting toasted because they were too close to a wall.

I am going to move them now further away from the wall.

In the meantime, I can't tell from the advice online how to prune them. The long stalks bore fruit.

Should I cut those back to a foot from the ground?

Thanks.

Mac

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Prune Apache Rubus Blackberry?

The other plant

o

On most Blackberries plants,once a cane fruits,it's done and can be cut off right near the ground,anytime.Other canes will sprout up out of the crown. Brady

o

Thanks.

Is it too late to prune those canes?

o

I also meant to ask:

Is Apache considered a trailing or an erect blackberry plant?

I assume erect, just want to be sure.

Thanks.

o

I also meant to ask:

Is Apache considered a trailing or an erect blackberry plant?

I assume erect, just want to be sure.

Thanks.

o

They can be pruned now.Make sure the new canes that didn't fruit are not cut away.
Yes,it is an erect type. Brady

o

Besides heat, blackberries should not be grown near a wall or fence because of possible fruit juice staining, unless the staining is of no consequence. Birds also tend to deposit berry pieces fore and aft near berry plantings.

Your field stake supports will do nicely for the apache.

Your future new canes will be more vigorous if you keep a circular area near the canes clear and weeded and apply some composted manure every year or two, in late autumn.

When pruning old canes, don't attempt to get them flush with the ground, leave 2 or 3 inches of stalk. That will reduce the possibility of disturbing this year's cane buds just below the soil surface. After 3 or 4 years, these remnant stalks become brittle and can easily be broken off by hand.

o

When you move a plant it is sometimes helpful to prune it a bit, but for this blackberry, I would move it and not prune it until next year. The alternative is to prune those canes that fruited last year and leave the others alone.

o

What I don't understand is the wall looks somewhat white, which reflects heat, not absorbs it, so confused how that could fry a plant? I use light colored pots to keep roots cool. As light colors do not absorb heat. My raspberries are against a red brick wall and are fine.

o

Thanks for all the posts.

I will prune just a little, and will move, and will use the stakes to add wires to.

Yes, I plan to get the grass up from the entire area, as it will be a garden for vegetables, too.

Mac

o

A light-colored wall will also reflect UV, and that can add to fruit damage for some varieties of blackberry--that would eventually appear to be fried.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here