Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garrai81

Prune Apache Rubus Blackberry?

garrai81
10 years ago

I bought some Apache blackberry plants last year, and they fruited a little, before getting toasted because they were too close to a wall.

I am going to move them now further away from the wall.

In the meantime, I can't tell from the advice online how to prune them. The long stalks bore fruit.

Should I cut those back to a foot from the ground?

Thanks.

Mac

Comments (11)

• garrai81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The other plant

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

On most Blackberries plants,once a cane fruits,it's done and can be cut off right near the ground,anytime.Other canes will sprout up out of the crown. Brady

• garrai81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks.

Is it too late to prune those canes?

• garrai81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I also meant to ask:

Is Apache considered a trailing or an erect blackberry plant?

I assume erect, just want to be sure.

Thanks.

• garrai81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I also meant to ask:

Is Apache considered a trailing or an erect blackberry plant?

I assume erect, just want to be sure.

Thanks.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

They can be pruned now.Make sure the new canes that didn't fruit are not cut away.
    Yes,it is an erect type. Brady

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

Besides heat, blackberries should not be grown near a wall or fence because of possible fruit juice staining, unless the staining is of no consequence. Birds also tend to deposit berry pieces fore and aft near berry plantings.

Your field stake supports will do nicely for the apache.

Your future new canes will be more vigorous if you keep a circular area near the canes clear and weeded and apply some composted manure every year or two, in late autumn.

When pruning old canes, don't attempt to get them flush with the ground, leave 2 or 3 inches of stalk. That will reduce the possibility of disturbing this year's cane buds just below the soil surface. After 3 or 4 years, these remnant stalks become brittle and can easily be broken off by hand.

• Charlie
    10 years ago

When you move a plant it is sometimes helpful to prune it a bit, but for this blackberry, I would move it and not prune it until next year. The alternative is to prune those canes that fruited last year and leave the others alone.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

What I don't understand is the wall looks somewhat white, which reflects heat, not absorbs it, so confused how that could fry a plant? I use light colored pots to keep roots cool. As light colors do not absorb heat. My raspberries are against a red brick wall and are fine.

• garrai81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the posts.

I will prune just a little, and will move, and will use the stakes to add wires to.

Yes, I plan to get the grass up from the entire area, as it will be a garden for vegetables, too.

Mac

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

A light-colored wall will also reflect UV, and that can add to fruit damage for some varieties of blackberry--that would eventually appear to be fried.