Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peach tree training advice

Posted by foofght none (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 13:59

My year old August Pride peach tree has been growing well; however, I'd like to hear some suggestions as how others would go about training/pruning.

My intent is to keep it rather small, growing it no more than 6-8' high with about an 8' span. It also sits right next to a fence.

Having 3 - 4 scaffolds appears to be widely adopted, though most if not all of my scaffold candidates appear to be too vertical or horizontal.

Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peach tree training advice (image 2)

here's another view with a few other branches. Once i choose my scaffolds, it sounds like I should be lobbing off the remainder and topping the tree, yeah?

o
RE: Peach tree training advice

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 15:37

That is a pretty uniquely shaped tree. And there are many approaches that would work. In fact with a peach kept that size almost anything will work that will support the weight of a full crop.

If you want max peaches this year do nothing except thin the fruit enough that each branch can support what you leave. Think about the weight at harvest not when you thin. You could then prune after harvest.

At some point you will need to chose between A and what is now the trunk. A looks better shaped but the current trunk is bigger. Then remove or cut back those shoots headed towards the fence and those horizontal or below.

At that size if it gets good sun you could grow it in any form; open vase, central leader, or just a bush. But don't let it get so thick that the inside or lower branches shade out.

o

Yeah the tree is not as perfectly straight with perfect scaffold limbs like i see in all the pruning demos I've seen. But it is what it is and we'll make the best of it.

Why is "A" better shaped than the actual trunk? The actual drunk does start bending and leaning towards the top, but I"m guessing the tree can be straightened or if i don't pursue center leading, then it'll get lobbed off.

Would you say branches like "E" and "C" aren't good angles as main branches? They start off horizontal and bend up.

o

some good advice from fruitman and others....keep in mind peaches bear on last year's wood. Unlike apples, pears, plums, etc...they do not form long-lived fruiting spurs.

o

I favor an open vase pruning style for my peaches
it allows light /air to penetrate the tree canopy
preventing disease & the dreaded evil brown rot.
but maybe you don't have that problem
where I live is very hot & sticky, where are you?

o

Southern California, inland. Weather is very mild here with little humidity. Do the scaffold branches in the vase configuration have an ideal angle? Would branches "e" and "c" in the images above not work?

o

From what I can see,I'd cut off B,C,E,F and maybe some off the top of the main trunk.
Branch D is about the right angle to try and go with. Brady

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here