Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Caroline raspberry fall bearing?

Posted by pylot usda 9b sunset 17 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 14:00

I have a Caroline raspberry patch. I've heard that it is mostly used as a fall bearing raspberry. However, in our garden, it has a huge harvest in June on old canes (seems to me, maybe 5 lbs from a 3 ft by 3 ft area), and then it barely fruits again in the fall. Anyone else noticed this?

1. Is this due to the fact that I keep long canes (5-6 ft tall) over the winter? It seems that the new canes coming up in spring don't get enough light before I prune the old canes in early July, so maybe this is why the fall harvest is practically non-existent.

2. If I were to totally remove all the canes in winter and get rid of the early summer harvest, would I get a similarly huge harvest in the fall?

Thanks for advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Caroline raspberry fall bearing?

On Question 1, yes they lose some energy and the plant itself cannot concentrate just on new canes. It has to feed the old canes too. So maybe you would have a bigger crop if no floricanes. How much bigger though is the question?

On 2, not sure? I think you need to experiment. They say it should give you a big fall crop. But I think it depends on cultivar. My Fall Gold gives a decent fall crop if no floricanes, or if floricanes. So it makes sense for me to harvest both with that cultivar. I'm confused by the advice myself as I don't understand how 1/3 of the plants (fall crop) will produce more than the other 2/3 (summer crop).
My summer crops are huge!

o

If you want fall raspberries you need to prune all of the canes down in the winter.

Scott

o

I have Caroline in Nor Cal. Gives me fruit twice, cut the top 1/3 off the priomcane after it fruits. Cut the floricane the next year after it fruits. I'm sure the fall crop would be larger with no floricanes but I prefer longer season of raspberries.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here