Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Romance Series cherries

Posted by northwoodswis4 4a (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 14:05

I had expected that the Romance Series bush cherries, such as Juliet, etc, would be released in the U.S. by this time, but haven't seen them anywhere yet. Has anyone any further news on them? Northwoodswis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Romance Series cherries

Here's a link to a list of licensed propogators for the University of Saskatchewan's cherries -- scroll down for US progators. I don't know if those propogators sell directly to the consumer but even if they don't they would be able to tell you which nurseries they supply.

http://www.fruit.usask.ca/propagators.html

o

I have seen them for sale with fedco and at st. lawrence nursery. both places are selling small plants for around $20, but it's the only deals i've seen. i would love to find someone selling them wholesale in the u.s.

o

All I've been able to find available in the US are the Carmine Jewel, but I was hoping for the Juliet & Romeo varieties. I've read GardensAlive is helping to fund the testing that would make them available in the US, this process was started in 2010 (http://www.fruit.usask.ca/articles/Availability of SK cherries in US2010.pdf)
I've emailed their distributors to see if I can find out how close they are to a green light since these are the cherries I really want.

Perhaps if they had more emails of interest in these cherries the process would move faster?

o

Crimson Passion is difficult to propagate
Don't think the others have been virus certified to send south to the states yet.
Or if so only recently
Not sure why Carmine Jewel was the 1st to be vc...
Is it that the other Romance series are not well suited to our warmer climate?
They were bred for hardiness afterall.
Try Honeyberry USA
CJ $15 CP $18 + s&h

o

Fedco
Crimson Passion $16 + s&h
They also have organic supplies!

o

GreenOrchard,
Carmine jewel was first to be virus certified because it was the first to be released -- in 1999. The Romance Series is similar in form to CJ but was released 5 years later, in 2004.

o

I just put in an order for both cherries from Honeyberriesusa because theirs did so well. Their crimson passions grew 20" their first year and branched out alot! It's supposed to be less vigorous than the carmine which also did well. I'm buying the bigger ones they have because compared against gurneys, there's no comparison, and they are more careful with their product.
They also have some newer honeyberries from canada no one else has.

o

• Posted by glenn10 5a New Brunswick (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 19:01

i have all the romance series.....not sure how easy it is to get "wood samples" through US customs........send me a PM :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here