Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Western Pride' Nectarine

Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 14:29

Does anyone have any experience with this one. Not a whole lot shows up on a google search. I do know this. Berry Family Nursery seems to be the big marketer of it. We have it available now at our local Lowes. The trees come from the BFN nursery not but an hour or so from here.

I am currently putting in my orchard and have 3 peach (Ranger Elberta O'Henry), 2 plum (Methley Santa Rosa), and 2 apple (Gala Fuji) to start. I have been trying to get varieties that are recommended by Oklahoma State University for Oklahoma which only a few Nectarines are and even then as i understand nectarines typically dont do as well as peaches here. Some I have are recommended but Im also interested in having some that havent really been tried.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Western Pride Nectarine

This post was edited by mksmth on Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 14:34

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Western Pride' Nectarine

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 20:01

The information given by BFN doesn't match up with that in the patent application. Namely BFN says it's subacid while the patent says acidic/sweet. It's bred in California by Bradford Farms. So I don't see any reason to pick it over many others.

Do you like acidic/sweet or subacid/low acid?

Here is a link that might be useful: Western Pride patent

o

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 20:58

Thanks fruit nut. To answer your question I would have to say I Dont really know. I've eaten plenty of nectarines but can't say for sure what the difference is. I also grow citrus and have a good tolerence for them so i guess id say more acid but still sweet. Sorry that doesnt help much. I've looked at all the local box stores and nurseries and lowes is the only one with any type of nectarine. Since its not well known I'll probably hold off until I order more trees next year and get something else.
Mike

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 22:48

As much chilling as you get in OK you might be better off with something like Harko or Mericrest. I just planted both. Also planted Ranger and Redskin peach along with many CA peaches and nectarines both in greenhouse and outside. I want to see if the TX peaches are as good as CA.

The most reliable peach in Amarillo was Surecrop sold by Womack's Nursery. They have a pretty good selection of peaches.

o

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 10:16

Awesome. Thank you for the info fruitnut. That Harko sounds like a nice one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here