Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fruit trees delivered, pot up and plant?

Posted by milehighgirl CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 14:39

I just received a delivery from Tierra Madre. Since the trees are still dormant I thought the best thing to do would be to pot them up and plant the pots. Some of them I will take to Iowa in June. My thinking is that this would be better than potting them and trying to keep them in the garage.

Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fruit trees delivered, pot up and plant?

milehighgirl ooh lala!
such a cool nursery that I've been interested in for a while.
Do either assuming the trees are good for your zone
even though some will ultimately live in Iowa?
I have planted in pots for years since many nurseries ship dormant plants
to me mid or even late spring when the Ga sun is hot blazin.
Then must wait till fall so not to lose all the delicate feeder roots just developed *sigh*
You don't have to plant the pots if trees are hardy 2 zones less than yours just keep out of wind surround with deep mulch..... oh wait I just looked at your zone thats not likely.
So get diggin!
I do love a fellow dirt diggin chick, I dug 3 monster holes today for new DW trees.

o
RE: Fruit trees delivered, pot up and plant?

• Posted by bob_z6 6b/7a SW CT (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 23:56

I think it depends on how cold your garage is. If it is too warm, they will come out of dormancy earlier than you'd like. But if it stays under ~40, I think that is probably the easier option (vs digging a bunch of holes). Another thing to consider would be fabric pots, which you could later plant with the tree (no root loss). Of course, you may already have some other kind of pot handy and it could take some time to get the fabric ones delivered. If you do decide to get some online, check out Root pouches from Greenhousemegastore. Shazaam (from this forum) suggested it to me and I was pretty happy with my recent order- better price than the places I got them last year and they seem pretty sturdy (a very preliminary assessment).

Did you request Feb delivery? It seems a bit early for zone 5. I ordered from Tierra Madre this past fall and I think I asked for March, but I'm not sure and don't see it on my receipt. It does say that they deliver bare root from Jan to April.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here