Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fruit tree placement question

Posted by GreenDreamhome Zone 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 14:44

I'm asking this question rather last minute, but I just found this forum!

We have four new fruit trees that we're planting tomorrow right before we irrigate. There's an Earligrande peach, an Anna apple, a Katy apricot and a 3-kinds-of-pluot (one is Dapple Dandy.) We have irrigated property.

The trees are going to be in a square or rectangle, two closer to the fence and two toward the inside of our yard. One fence spot and one inside spot rarely get shade, while one fence spot and one inside spot can get partial afternoon shade in the summer from other trees and the position of the sun.

The apricot tree is younger than the other three, and hasn't been trimmed by the grower to limit its height. The other three have already had some pruning attention. The apple has some leaves and flowers and the others are still dormant (the peach has a few little buds.)

So: Who might I want toward the interior of the yard to make pruning easier? Who needs all-sun, all-the-time more than others? Who has the strongest-smelling flowers (that one might go farther from the house.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fruit tree placement question

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 15:55

The apple will need the least pruning. Others about the same. Pluot have the best smelling flowers. I'd put those where you want a nice fragrance unless allergic. Apple in the spot shaded from harsh afternoon sun. Others like full sun. Apple will tolerate full sun if well watered.

o
RE: Fruit tree placement question

Thanks! I think I've figured out where I'm going to put each tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here