Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions for supporting an apple tree

Posted by prestons_garden 9B SZ 22 HZ 6 SoC (rpreston1000@yahoo.com) on
Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 14:45

I will have to thin this little tree's buds or I will have no branches, small apples and very little flavors. I would like to hear some suggestions on supporting the branches to prevent them from breaking. This tree is in a container and is 3 years old. It's an anna apple.

photo DSC06745movedname_zpse2496ef8.jpg

Also, how to detour the pesky possum's. Last year, they got way too many apples. This year I need some type of solution without harming the critters. Trapping and moving them to a different location will be my last resort.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions for supporting an apple tree

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 14:49

Build a cage around it sorta like the one in the background. That will support the branches and keep out the critters. Here I'd need mesh small enough to keep out the birds as well. My main critters are birds and coon.

o

Well there you go, the answer was right in front of me. I don't know what I would do if I was all alone.

Thanks fruitnut.

o

Keep in mind that not all those buds will set fruit and many/most/all of the fruitlets will drop of their own accord. The tree may well solve the problem on its own.

o

How many apples do you think can be grown on this tree without it overbearing, have good flavors and a decent size?

As of today there are 240 fruitlets, 1,300 flowers. I would say it's a big jump as last year this tree had less then 15 fruitlets. I will have to do a lot of thinning this year. I will not wait for natural fruit drop to take place knowing it will consume too much energy as this tree is only 5ft. and in a container.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here