Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm planting two varieties of watermelon

Posted by GreenThumb789 none (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 14:47

Hi!

So this summer I want to plant two different varieties of watermelon. And when harvest time comes, I want to collect the seeds and plant them next year. But I know that two watermelon varieties will cross pollinate, so I was wondering how far do I have to plant the two varieties away from eatchother in order for them not to cross pollinate? I heard of bagging the flowers but I'd rather just plant them far away from eatchother.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm planting two varieties of watermelon

I've read that with watermelons 1/8 mile can sometimes be good enough but that if you really want pure seed you should plan on at least a mile of isolation distance. The other option besides bagging and distance isolation, however, would be planting one early and one late, making sure the early variety wasn't continuing to bloom when the late variety got ready to bloom.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 19:50

What I'd do is pollinate chosen flowers by hand. You just have to bag for about three days at most. They need to be pollinated the first day the flower opens. The second day is usually too late. So if you bag the day before opening, pollinate the next day, and keep it bagged another day you will have pure seed.

It's really not hard to spot the right days. Pollinate the morning of first open, about an hour after sunrise, as soon as the flower opens.

One melon of pure seed is a lot of seed. And it would be easy to mark the fruit with a colored ribbon.

o

You didn't specify open-pollinated varieties, so just in case you aren't aware, you can't use hybrid watermelon varieties if you want to grow the same kind next year, because they won't come true-to-seed whether self pollinated or not.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here