Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drew51_gw

Bluecrisp blueberry plants

Has anyone seen this? Paul Lyrene who developed Sweetcrisp also developed this one that is much like Sweetcrisp.
Paul also developed
�Misty�, �Snowflake�, �Windy�, �Santa Fe�, �Southmoon�, �Star�, �Emerald�, �Jewel�, �Millenia�, �Springhigh�, �Springwide�, �Abundance�, �Primadonna�, �Choice� and �Chaucer� blueberries. Also '�Star�.

Comments (24)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    10 years ago

I bought three Bluecrisp about 4 yrs ago. Worst $100 I ever spent on blueberry. It's nothing like Sweetcrisp. Neither sweet nor crisp.

I'm still growing Sweetcrisp, Star, Emerald, Jewel, Springhigh, and Santa Fe. Rejected Misty, Southmoon, and Primadonna. Southmoon is better than Bluecrisp.

I emailed Paul once to thank him for Sweetcrisp. He was very appreciative.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info, I'll be growing Southmoon, rated for my area. Plus others said it was their best. The write-up I saw said bluecrisp was developed to be like sweetcrisp.
    I'm going to try legacy too, as it is rated for my area.
    Best to grow types proven to grow here. Although I'm going to try sweetcrisp anyway.

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

Dr. Lyrene is a very nice guy. Ironically he owns no blueberry bushes, It just strikes me funny:) He also invented Raven which was his last.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm looking into wild blueberries and such, as we all have different tastes, and I want a small berry plant that is very tart. I think the wild ones best fit this. Then again maybe bluecrisp is the way to go?

• MrClint
    10 years ago

The first couple of years 'Misty' was very tart, too tart for me. As it matured I learned that the tartness was simply that I didn't let them hold long enough. Now it is one of my favorites. 'Emerald' didn't produce the first year, which I thought was kind of odd. Now it too is an excellent berry for me. Great producer as well. Sometimes patience pays off. Except for an occasional 'Southmoon' & 'Jewel', I don't see the others listed in the original post in my local nurseries, but then I'm not a collector.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the report. I myself have a hard time ripping anything out. I suppose that may change with time, but tart berries would make great cooking berries. So i would work with what i have. I would like both sweet and tart when it comes to blueberries. I have 3 northern and 3 southern now. I would like to obtain 3 wild or huckleberries. I just have to pick the best ones for my climate. I am going to wait a few years though. Real Flora seems to carry just about all of Dr. Lyrene's cultivars btw.
    My alma mater Michigan State University has developed as many as Dr. Lyrene. I only have one. i wouldn't mind picking up a couple more. But not till I move. A pain I'm going to have to start over! I'm taking cuttings, or the whole plants with me if I can though.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Everywhere I read they say bluecrisp is like an apple. All over the place. Sounds like fruitnut didn't really have bluecrisp?

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

RealFlora does have a lot of plants but $18.99 for a 14" deep well? Yikes.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seems to be the story all around. You can get them cheaper, but have I seen high prices at even discount nurseries. I think I spent around the same money this year as last, but have half the plants. I did buy some new cultivars, and they are always priced high.

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

They are in Gainesville Florida right in the heart of SHB blueberry nursery production.....they are charging $18.99 for a plant they paid about $1 for. While I am all for making a profit that is just insane markup.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Look at the Romeo cherry thread and this looks like a bargain. Many blueberries are going for $12.50. Some places for under $8.00 Nourse Farms for $8.50. Decent prices, great nursry, but where is Sweetcrisp for that price?
    I bought two from elsewhere for a good price. I looked at the tropical plants, and I like a couple, found them elswhere for cheaper. I have no plans to support this nursery at those prices. Except maybe Sweetcrisp as it is not all over the place. Many of the Lyrene cultivars are hard to find. I have not found Bluecrisp anywhere? I'm tending to doubt fruitnut actually had a Bluecrisp, it pobably was from Florida Hill.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Tue, Feb 18, 14 at 10:04

10 years ago

I got my Bluecrisp from Dimeo Farms in NJ. Worst plants I ever got and they might not have been true.

Before I bought those I ask myself, if Bluecrisp is so good why is almost no one selling it and why is no one talking about how great it is? Good question and one that should have steered me clear. If you want to answer that question keep looking. I'd like to know but think I've figured it out. If it has a Sweetcrisp like fruit and great yield it would be a great find. But really what's the chances of that when it's been released way longer than Sweetcrisp.

• RobThomas
    10 years ago

If it was from Dimeo then who knows what you got! Reading the reviews for them is quite entertaining. Something is seriously wrong with the owner of that company.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"why is almost no one selling it and why is no one talking about how great it is?"

That's my question about Sweetcrisp? Really only a few say it's great because only a few have it, it's pretty much not available.

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

Drew,

I went and picked up 50 Sweetcrisp in December. I could have just as easily bought 5000. I paid $5 each for them and I know my commercial friend paid like $2 for them.....but he had to go get them and I don't begrudge him a profit. I kept 5 for myself to replace some rabbiteye I ripped out and the rest went to friends locally and a few took an airplane ride to other friends. I just charged the $5 they cost me plus the shipping.

I know it is a bit different here but they are available. Here are the ones I kept and the ones that took the airplane rides. They are year old fieldrun plants, 18"-24" tall. Equivalent of 1 gallon pot size I guess but because they are field run IE dug they acclimate MUCH faster and take off faster.

{{gwi:63202}}

10 years ago

Don't get Sweetcrisp. I'd much rather you get Bluecrisp. Then you can give back to the community with your review.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey fruitnut, I'm going to take your word for it for now. It is not anywhere, and you may be right. You can get sweetcrisp if you dig hard enough. Seems the best deal is at True Blue Plants. Sorry to be so negative and all. I have been in this house too long! I need to get out in the garden. The snow soon will be melting. i started my pepper plants.
    Thanks also for the list of plants you like. None really fit for me as I'm a touch too cold, but others I'm sure will find the advice useful.

Bamboo
    I may have to ride down to Florida and just pick them up!

Actually I bought one, and 2 other cultivars, my blueberry spots are now full.

10 years ago

It has been a long winter!! I think you'll like Sweetcrisp but then it is sweet, not sweet/tart. Some may not like the crunch.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I do like sweet too, plus the wife will probably consume most of them. She doesn't really like tart either! So those are all mine :) She doesn't like jam or jelly either. I usually give that to friends and family.
    The crunch sounds unique, I always thought regular blueberries were kinda firm, but trying the ones I grew, and from the store, no not really. They are firm, but not really crunchy, although the Amish Reiner cherries, and a lot of grapes I got last summer are so firm they are kinda crunchy!

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

Drew,

I heard that TrueBlue is no longer in business..that they were liquidating inventory then done. If true it is too bad as I liked them. It was a spot a regular non commercial could buy at a good price with just a 25 plant order.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everybody for the info It seems some really good winners are out there. I'm a little worried about trying some of the early ripening SHB like Springhigh, worried it won't do well here, but you know I should try it anyway to see. I think some of the more cold tolerant SHB don't do as well, and might not even taste as good in warmer zones. Much like the NHB. But it may not be true in reverse, the early SHB may be fine here if protected. They will have to produce later though, and I wonder how they would adapt? I will try some at some point.
    Curious too see too how the SHB compares to the NHB? I might be better off sticking to what works here, SHB may grow but not be up to par on taste because of the environment.
    Thanks again fruitnut and bamboo, you guys have so much expereince it saves me a lot of time. Sorry at times I'm so negative. Just moody sometimes being so locked up in this winter wonderland. I'll never really appreciate it. One of these days I'll have to winter elsewhere, i can barely stand it. Anyway again you guys are great, and thanks much for all your help! We are going back to below zero for a few nights and it's almost March argh!! I'm working in the garden anyway!

This post was edited by Drew51 on Thu, Nov 27, 14 at 11:48

• Kudzuman
    10 years ago

Drew,

I have a Bluecrisp which I am letting fruit for the first time this spring. I should have berries by mid to late May, so I'll give a review when they are ready. I had a Sweetcrisp too, but it croaked and I never replaced it.

Get the Legacy plants. They are excellent and are definitely one of my favorites. The flavor is not too sweet nor tart, but a good balance between the two and also very robust/intense. I would compare the flavor to Elizabeth, but maybe a little more intense. Their growth is not very vigorous, at least not for me.

If you like tart blueberries, get a catalog from Burnt Ridge Nursery. They have huckleberry (northwestern wild blueberry) plants and many NH varieties for sale, along with good descriptions. Vaccinium membranaceum and V. deliciosum are said to be the very best. You can ask around the forum and see what the others recommend, since I have no experience with those types at all. NH plants don't really have the heat tolerance to really flourish at my latitude, but I am currently growing Elizabeth and Friendship in my backyard. The Friendship seems especially heat-tolerant, but last summer was mild and rainy so it's still an experiment in progress.

Kudzuman

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Excellent, thanks for the info. On another forum I have talked to a guy familiar with wild and lowbush plants. He gave some recommendations. Looking forward to the review!

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Drew,
    I have a Bluecrisp which I am letting fruit for the first time this spring. I should have berries by mid to late May, so I'll give a review when they are ready

OK, well if you're still around a review would be great!

Get the Legacy plants

I did add one!