Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boom1_gw

Black Sapote

boom1
15 years ago

anyone who has tasted it, could you really mistake it for chocolate pudding?

i have room for one sapote tree, im debating a black sapote, but possibly a white, green, rose, or mamay.

your opinions appreciated.

Comments (6)

• Axel
    15 years ago

black sapote is gummy but it is an aquired taste, and while it looks like chocolate pudding, it doesn't taste like it. A mammey sapote reminds me of a sweet potato and white sapotes are not good in southern Florida. If it was me I'd go for the black sapote.

• gonebananas_gw
    15 years ago

"mammey sapote reminds me of a sweet potato"

It used to remind me of part way between sweet potato and dried apricot.

• boom1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok so i figured out black sapote is in the persimmon family and white sapote is in the Rutaceae family, they are not even a sapote like mamey, green sapote or ross sapote.

so ive narrowed it down to green sapote (which i hear is almost identical to mamay only smaller) and ross sapote (which i gather is similar to canistel)

• Axel
    15 years ago

FYI, the word Zapote in Mexico is the generic name of fruits which are roundish and contain a hard stone; the species are obviously various.

So there is no such thing as a "true" sapote. They are all sapotes.

BTW, please note a correction above, I meant to type yummy, not gummy. The first one I ate was a bit strange, but after that, I wanted more, and each one was more and more delicious.

• boom1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oh yummy, that makes more sense now.

sapotacae family i guess are similar. has anyone tried ross sapote?

im also now considering an atemoya, i already have a grafted soursop tree doing well.

• tonywoodall
    15 years ago

Hi folks. The Black Sapote fruit is one of our favourite fruits for making wine.

The fruit really doesn't have a flavour until you provide some kind of catalyst. We live in the tropical parts of Queensland, Australia and the local people will mix it with icecream, cakes, puddings and trifles. In fact there are many other "catalysts" that work just as well. Once you have the catalyst only then will the Black Sapote have chocolate flavours, hence the name Chocolate Pudding Fruit.
    However the best catalyst is in making the fruit into a port wine.

I'm not going to give away our trade secrets but our Black Sapote port won a gold medal and was champion wine of a nation-wide wine show. It has at least 15 different flavours. It is truly the most complex flavoured fruit we have encountered and we grow over 70 tropical fruits.

So folks, play around with the fruit, mix it with different foods, try a drop of any citrus juice and you can really enjoy this most weird of all fruits.

Cheers, Tony Woodall.
    PS. This is not meant to be an advertisement and the postage overseas is too expensive anyway. Sorry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shannonvale Tropical Fruit Winery.