Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edymnion

Cherry Grafting Tips?

Edymnion
11 years ago

Okay, yesterday I bought a Montmorency Cherry tree with the intention of slicing it up into grafts for my Bing and my Sweet Cherry trees (and then turning the stump into a bonsai). After getting it home, I realize that the entire tree I bought is the size of one good limb on my Bing.

So, my main question is, is it better to do large grafts or small ones?

I'm thinking its still going to be the best to make multiple smaller grafts simply from a numbers game perspective, more grafts mean more opportunities for one to be successful.

However, I'm also thinking there may be merit to trimming most of the branches off the new small tree, graft them to one of the bigger trees, then graft the larger main trunk onto the other as a large branch to start with.

Never done grafting before, but I've read up on it as much as I could, I've picked the graft types I want to use (side grafts, the trees I have are rather vertical, I want to broaden them out some), gotten my tools ready, just waiting on warmer weather for the buds to start breaking to be sure the sap is flowing and the grafts have the best chance of taking.

Comments (6)