Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scion size limits?

Posted by marknmt 5b (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 15:11

I have a very limited amount of one variety that I want to place elsewhere on my tree, but some of it is twice the diameter I'm used to using (all last year's growth.) Should I be able to wrestle the thick wood into place? Would it be better to use it on larger branches, perhaps 3"+ diameter?

I've fought with scions that were too thin but never one this large -perhaps 1/2", or slightly larger.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scion size limits?

chip bud?

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 1:56

What kind of tree and what method of grafting are you contemplating?

I wouldn't hesitate to use 1/2" scion to do a whip and tongue to a matching diameter shoot.

o

I find that sometimes, some varieties buds are not completely developed towards the base of annual shoots which may reduce viability but otherwise wood should be fine.

o

Thanks all. It's Rubinette on my apple.

I'd probably do cleft on this one, although W&T is the best, I think; I'm more reliable with cleft. Hadn't thought of chip, although I often do chip back ups with any splice.

The Rubinette has been a vigorous grower (towards the top of my tree) and the one I ate seemed pretty good. It's also a good keeper and attractive and a convenient (not too large) size.

Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here