Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fruit trees in raised beds- watering

Posted by yawiney none (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 15:12

I finally finished putting in my orchard 27 trees in all. I learned as i was going and due to a high water table in winter decided to put the rest (the last 13) in raised beds. Some, (especaily cherry bed), have a massive amount of soil in them and are 2ft + above the ground. They were well watered in intitially, soaked about a foot out all the way around but there is still alot of dry soil inside of the boxes that could be sucking the moisture away from the trees. I have re- watered a few of them once, when it felt dryer but I don't know what's going on down below where I can't feel. Even a moisture meter dosn't go down that far.
Should I just make sure the top layer stays moist?
Or soak the whole monster bed all the way 1 time?
We have not been getting our usual winter rains this yr.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fruit trees in raised beds- watering

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 17:05

I won't feel right if I didn't soak the whole bed unless I was pretty sure it would rain enough to do the job. You'll want the roots to spread as far as possible the first year.

After you soak it once you shouldn't need to water again for some time. Don't keep it wet, just moist.

o
RE: Fruit trees in raised beds- watering

thats the trick keep the soil moist not wet
& not on the top but several inches in

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here