Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Concord Grapes in Texas?

Posted by SteveABC 8 Dallas (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 21, 11 at 15:32

I have a seedless Concord grapevine in my backyard and I am not sure if it will survive and produce fruit. I would like to know if it is worth keeping or if i should rip it out and plant a better suited one (if so some suggestions would be great) Also I would like to know if Seedless Concord grapes are Genetically modified(GMO)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Concord Grapes in Texas?

My experience with grapes is you'll know real soon how it does. If the plant has any size you should know this summer. What I've heard is that seedless concord is a very shy yielder. Even regular concord doesn't like hot climates. I'd be very surprised if the seedless version is GMO.

o

whew was bout to buy some young concord grape plants at home depot the other day.... they were dark purple type. Wonder what kinda grape is suitable for zone 9?

o

Concord seedless is one of the most maligned varieties on this forum, regardless of locale. I've read that a grape breeder named Munson did a lot of variety development in Texas in the early 1900's, and his grapes are still considered among the best. "America" seems to be his best known grape with Champanel in second.

o

Well I guess its coming out. What are some good varieties for Dallas, To get technical it is actually Frisco, Texas and my county to the north is zone 7 and the south is 8. In the summer we get up to about 105 degrees ferinheight. I would prefer to have a Non-GMO variety that is a good, sweet table grape.

o

Steve:

You might want to look into Jupiter a dark seedless grape from the Arkansas breeding program. It has a bit of a muscat flavor and is pretty hardy. It's generally considered the best tasting hardy table grape.

If you want the best grape I've ever eaten look for Summer Royal. But it will require more spraying, possibly a lot more. And it won't be as hardy but should survive any cold you get in the Dallas area.

o

Steve,
I live in the Las Vegas, NV area (zone 9) with scorching summertimes. I have a Concord seeded and a Concord seedless. They both are thriving and fruit very well. They receive approx. 3 hours morning sun and approx. 4 hours afternoon sun. You might want to rethink pulling it. At least, see what happens over the season.
John

o

I just bought concord at home depot in dallas; I would like to know how to prepare the soil

o

Forget the concord or any European grapes in Texas. Stick with muscadines if you want to have any success. Google Pierce's disease to find out why.

Here is a link that might be useful: mrtexas

o

That's a bit harsh... there is a successful wine industry in Texas. I know several people who do grow all types of grapes (including vinifera) in Texas.

o

Concord is American grape, here are some more American grapes if you're not interested in European varieties...

Here is a link that might be useful: American Grapes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here