Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peach tree pruning

Posted by bamboo_rabbit 9A Inverness FL (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 15:33

I will start by saying I know nothing about peach trees.....I planted 7 bareroot trees last winter and have been absolutely amazed with the speed of their growth. From dime and nickel size trunks to a year later the biggest trunk is larger than a tennis ball with a canopy 10 feet across. They are just covered currently in blooms and the earliest type already has quarter size peaches on it.

The trees have some pretty big limbs that are growing up through the middle of the tree that I know must go....my question is do I leave them and let them produce fruit then prune them? Or should I take them off now? I want to try summer pruning the trees.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peach tree pruning

Take them off now and open the trees up. You'll still get plenty of fruit on remaining trees and you need to get a handle on them ASAP if they are growing that rapidly.

Maximum of 4 scaffolds is all you need- I like just 3.

o

Thanks for the reply. I picked my scaffolds at planting but then did not prune again all summer as I was told the tree needed all the leaves it could get. The upright limbs came off the scaffolds near their base. I will remove them.

o

Main thing is to keep enough sun hitting the interior of the scaffolds that new wood is generated along the entire length of them and you don't end up with a doughnut affect of empty wood on the interior after a couple or few years.

Summer pruning of most aggressive uprights is extremely helpful for this purpose.

o

If you lived up north, maybe you'd need more leaves on the tree, but you're in FL, so I wouldn't worry about it. The growing season is long enough, and there is plenty of rain and sun for those trees to grow like gangbusters.

Fruiting wood is usually about pencil thickness, and you can even trim that by up to 50%, in order to thin the crop in advance.

Typically people aim for a goblet or funnel shape, with an open center.

o

Well I am sure I am going to screw it up as part of the learning process but on the plus side peach trees don't live that long:)

o

Your tree at age to take work glove rub off all buds fruit on top side limbs ones leave form peaches on outside limb this load pull limbs down by weight fruit this spread Tree. And later outside bud grow outward before turn upward that give more spreading.
The above good way thin crop thinning crop on outside limb be easy thinning. I like 8 foot prune up and to sides this give total 16 foot spread over 8 ft. limbs load to heavy and some brake.
Nematodes like peach tree roots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here