Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need help finding Turnbull Giant Pear tree

Posted by katheria 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 28, 10 at 15:37

My mom is trying to find one of these and has had no luck at all

ive searched with no luck...

hoping someone has come across this pear tree for sale somewhere...

all i can find is patent # 4616

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need help finding Turnbull Giant Pear tree

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 28, 10 at 16:08

I don't know where it can be found for sale, but you could get scion cuttings from the National Clonal Germplasm Repository in Corvallis, Oregon. Also, private collectors might be able to provide you with cuttings. I saw a couple of collectors I recognized from a very brief Google search. Someone on here may be able to provide cuttings if you could graft them.

o

Hidden Springs Nursery, in Cookeville TN has it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pears at Hidden Springs

o

lucky p is that price for a 2'-4' branch for grafting purposes or is that the price for a small tree?

If its a tree any idea how many years before such a small tree will start producing blooms?

I have two large Asian Pear trees that have never set fruit because they flower at different times. This could be my ticket to bushels of pears.

o

HI guys thanks a bunch,

a scion wouldnt work for sure
grafting is out of my range and my moms...

im thinking thats a price for a scion ???

guess ill call them and see tomorrow...

o

"...is that price for a 2'-4' branch for grafting purposes or is that the price for a small tree?"

"im thinking thats a price for a scion ???"

No, it's a 2'-4' tree.

o

Right. $12 for a 2-4 ft grafted tree. It's a heck of a deal - I don't see how they stay in business. But they've been doing it for a long time.
I'm not sure what rootstock they use - probably callery pear, but you could call/email to ask and inquire how long it usually takes for them to come into bearing.
I wouldn't anticipate any fruit for 3-5 years, maybe longer.

There is an old adage: "Plant pears, plant for your heirs" - a testament, both to the lengthy productive life span of pears, but also to the long juvenile period they go through before they begin fruiting. Granted, this probably was written with concern to seedling pears, but even grafted selections on seedling rootstock can take a number of years to come into production.

o

Gee, I got pears the second year after planting on my multi-grafted pear. Maybe the rootstock was really old by the time I got it???

Carla in Sac

o

i'm curious, how does the turnbull giant pear taste? anyone have any experience with it?

o

Asian pears come into bearing faster(for me, anyway), even on Harbin(seedling P.ussuriensis) rootstock than do European pears on a semi-dwarfing stock, like OHxF 513. Quince or one of the more dwarfing OHxF rootstocks would probably move bearing up a bit more.
I planted one grafted pear, on Winter Nelis seedling rootstock, that took 12 years to produce its first fruit; it, and others like it, on P. calleryana will be here long after I'm gone - and possibly after my children have passed - but you have to wait a while for them to reach fruiting maturity.
HSN doesn't specify which rootstocks they're using, but they'll tell you what they're using if you ask them - could be quince, could be OHxF 333, could be callery.

o

how does it taste?

personally ive never had it,( not a pear fan) but my mom had two before she moved from her old house.....

she says " Best pear she has ever eaten"
guess thats why she was trying to find them again hehehe

o

Turnbulls taste somewhat like Asian pears, but better IMO, almost like a cross between a pear and an apple. Nothing pretty about it...but very crisp, juicy, delicious & HUGE.
Got a nice Turnbull tree from Hidden Springs last fall, and it's just broken bud (about 2wks after the Harvest Queen pollinator they recommended...nice folks, BTW).
Hope I'm not too far south to get good production, but even a handful (and they are a handful!) of Turnbulls each year will be worth the effort!

o

turnbull sounds like something i should try. i just called hidden springs, they're out until nov, guess i'll have to wait

o

Im surprised to hear such high praise of Turnbull. I consider it average at best flavor wise. Good tree and disiease resistant but only average flavor wise to me.

Scape

o

i see from googling that it was patented in 1981 by mr turnbull et all in depew okla. the patent was assigned to henry fields who sold the turnbull in the early 80's, but they dont now. turnbull seems to be dissapearing from the trade.

o

the giant turnbull pear is fast growing extremely productive and amounts to nothing but 5ft - 8ft watersprouts up a long trunk. The next year they weight down with pears to form an umbrella like weeping branch. . Its Flowering goes on a long time and pollinates early, mid, and late flowering varieties. you must pick off the pears off the central leader so it stays vertical and does not weep. The pear itself looks ugly with discolorations, but has no affect on it's flavor. It is the only one of my fruits that the human don't take. Let it grow and don't fight it, it will do fine. just thin the fruit. Henry Field's nursery carried this tree and there is still a chance they have scion from it

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here