Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blackberry vine bores

Posted by oldokie 6K2C (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 15:40

i have 2 different types of bores that are giving me fits in my thornless blackberries. do any of you have to deal with them and how. I live in NE oklahoma . The extension people say I have to watch and prune them out

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: blackberry vine bores

How do they bore in, at the ends? Are you pruning for height? Or are they boring in at the base? Or both? How do you know it is two kinds of borers? Did they mention the species/common name?

Raspberry Crown Borer?
Red-neck Cane Borer?

http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-1465/CR-6221web.pdf
Unfortunately, not very helpful for home owners. Let me know the answers to the above and I can give you some recommendations.

Here is a link that might be useful: OK Blackberries

o

there are holes close to the top of cane and the cane shows evidence of tunneling part way down and exit hole

there is another which i think is red-neck vine borer that there is a gall about 4 to 6 inch above ground and another gall about 2-3 inches above that

o

oldokie,

When I went to prune off last year's growth from my blackberries, I noticed that I too had a lot of Red-neck Cane Borer galls on my blackberries, especially the trailing varieties that I grow. The general advice is to remove and burn the infected canes if less than 20% of your canes are infected. Since my trailing blackberries exceed the 20% rate, I'm going to try an insecticide. Admire Pro is recommended for cane borers and other leaf / cane eaters. I'm going to try a generic brand with the same ingredients called Macho 2.0 FL.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here