Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Silver Tips Too Soon?

Posted by WrittenOnWater N. VA 7a (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 10, 14 at 15:44

I apologize if the answer is obvious, but I'm rather new at this. I have two 1.5-year old apple trees, a Granny Smith and a Golden Delicious. The Golden Delicious continues to remain dormant.

However, I first noticed about a month ago that the Granny Smith is entering the silvery tip phase (losing its hard wood-like exterior on the buds and becoming gray/fuzzy). I just checked last weekend again and it's getting bigger and more fuzzy - there's almost no wood-like exterior left.

Given that the weather is still in the 20s-30s, is this happening too soon? If so, is there something I can do to slow the process down? I'm also not sure why the Granny Smith is growing while the Golden Delicious remains dormant.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Silver Tips Too Soon?

Fruiting buds develop over winter and different varieties develop differently. This is all you are seeing -- its not really silver tip. I have some pears that look ready to bloom out compared to the trees next to them.

Scott

o

That was fast! Thank you!

And thank you also for the poms - I've been trying to care for them according to the instructions I've read but am very curious if they've taken. Is it usually about a month before they start rooting?

o

Ah I didn't realize who you were. Its funny that the pear observations I referred to above I had made during your visit.

For the poms you usually see baby roots in a couple weeks. I usually root in some way I can inspect the roots, either wrapped in wet paper towel or in sand.

Scott

o

Ah, I must've forgotten in the midst of all the information I learned!

Good to know for next time. One of the grape cuttings is actually breaking dormancy already. It's got the beginnings of a fuzzy gray tip!

o

You didn't miss it, it was just something I noticed while showing you some pear buds.

For the grapes they can bud out on top before they have produced roots on the bottoms. Usually it doesn't have a big effect on the final outcome but if the top gets too far ahead of the bottom it can be bad. When I root grapes I try to heat the bottoms more than the tops, that slows down the tops a bit.

Scott

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 22:15

Hey Scott,

Did you happen to get my email? I sent it a few days ago.

Pardon me for interrupting this thread, but I knew no other way of contacting Scott.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here