Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
which blueberry shrub to choose?

Posted by preppyjock (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 15:46

i went to a local Lowe's store, they are selling a few varieties of blueberry shrubs.

i don't know which one to choose. they are produced by this site.

http://duartefruittrees.com/?page_id=40

i want one that is easy to grow and produce lots of blueberries. ;)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: which blueberry shrub to choose?

It would help to know what state you live in.

o

PJ-
8-20lbs depending on age/variety/care

o

i am here in southern california.

o

Well in your area and zone I have no experience but don't see why you could not grow southern highbush. You can't beat Emerald for sheer volume of berries produced. For taste I love sweetcrisp. Windsor is also a good one as well as Jewel.

o

preppyjock,
From what i know,I'd pick O'neal and Legacy from your provided list.I have Misty,which is sweet,but can be too overbearing and may need some flower bud pruning at some point,but that's okay.Legacy is excellent.I want to get an O'neal,because I read they are good tasting and bear early. Brady

o

I was looking a little closer at some of the descriptions of the Blueberry varieties listed on the duartefruittrees page and it lists some of the Southern Highbush chill hour requirements at 800 -1000.I don't think so.One of the main reasons Southern Highbush were made is to have low chill hours for Southern growers.
I checked for the variety Rebel which duarte lists as needing 800-1000 chill hours.The patent information has it as 400-450,which is more like it.
Preppyjock,it may benefit to check the average chill hours in your area for a Winter,that is between 32F and 45F and pick the plants need that many or less.Weather Underground is a place to check and tally up chill hours. Brady

And don't use that stupid chill hour info from duarte.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here